how can i draw scientific figures for my papers?

by matinking
Tags: draw, figures, papers, scientific
matinking
Feb15-12, 07:17 AM
P: 17
Hi everyone!

I need to draw a bunch of figures for my papers but i don't know how to use professional software like photoshop, 3dmax, maya, ....of course as you know, the figures must be pretty and accurate. i need to one which is powerful but simple to use

does anyone has any suggestion for me?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Fiber-optic microscope will help physicians detect cancer, diseases at early stages
Wind tunnel tests support improved aerodynamic design of B61-12 bomb
Smart sensor technology to combat indoor air pollution
gsal
Feb18-12, 07:14 AM
P: 838
You are going to need a bit more specific...

With the title of scientific figures on papers...because of my own background, I thought of scientific/engineering papers to be submitted to, say, IEEE or mathematics/physics conferences and that typically include plots, graphs, etc....and so, I was thinking of resouces like
Latex
matplotlib
dislin
plplot
etc.

that produce publication quality graphs.

But then, when you mentioned programs like photoshop and maya, it threw me off...

What kind of "figures" you are talking about?
plots on x-y cartesian planes?
3D virtual reality scenes?
or what...
do you have a sample figure you can upload to show what kind you are talking about?

Other software you may look into it are:

Blender
Mayavi
Gimp
Inkscape
Paraview
VisIt
VTK

etc.
matinking
Feb18-12, 07:48 AM
Of course i can!
I mean some kind of the scientific figures which are accurate in details like attached image.
but about your suggestions..... i am for example familiar with Inkscape but i did not find it so effective to generate high quality figures like attached one...... furthermore I should confess that i have not required artistic talent to design them...!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
1-s2.0-S0921889011000777-gr1.sml.gif  

matinking
Feb18-12, 08:07 AM

how can i draw scientific figures for my papers?

or the other example could be.....
Attached Thumbnails
qqq.jpg  
gsal
Feb18-12, 08:23 AM
P: 838
Looks like you need some kind of 3D modeler; to start, take a look at Wikipedia and go down to where they list commercial and free software.

The problem is always with the "powerful but simple to use" part....necessarily, as things get more capable, they get more features, etc...so the learning curve seems to keep growing.

I wonder if the free version of SketchUp would be enough for you; take a look at the gallery.

Then, there is Blender; I have heard good things about it, powerful, scriptable, etc...except for an awkward interface?.

Now, if you need something more CAD-like, like in your second picture that include a 3D along a 2D sketch, you need to look into CAD programs...one I have been looking at lately is the up and coming FreeCAD...but that's just because I like free software...if you have money to pay for supported software, you can look into commercial packages, etc.
matinking
Feb18-12, 08:54 AM
thank you very much for your impeccable explanations.......!!!!

Register to reply