Where to do Cosmology or nanotechnology research over Summer in England

In summary, In the United States, there are no similar programs to Undergraduate Research Programs in the United Kingdom. If you want to do research in cosmology or in the electric field effects of coherent photons on nanostructures, you will need to find a supervisor and pursue funding. There are many opportunities to do research in the UK, but some are aimed at schoolkids and others are aimed at "everyone". You can find information about these opportunities by contacting departments or potential supervisors. Jodrell Bank is a great place to visit.
Changnoi
I'm a Physics Senior in the United States. I would like to participate in an Undergraduate Research Program in the UK this summer. I've applied to several here in the US, but I'd enjoy a pretense to both further my studies of novel space-time geometries using non-FRW models and visit some some friends in the UK while I'm at it.

I'm having difficulty locating any programs that are similar to US REU programs in the UK. I'd like to either do research in cosmology (as above) or in the electric field effects of coherent photons on nanostructures.

Can someone point me to a program that will allow this research? Which UK University is a good fit for these topics? Are there any particular experts I should be seeking out?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Such things don't really exist. If you find someone who is willing to supervise you, s/he may well be able to apply for some funding to support you over the summer (though, I think you're probably too late to do that this year). And such things will also depend on your immigration status (if you are not an EU national, you will likely not be able to get a visa enabling you to be paid while here for the summer).

That said, since I work in cosmology, if you PM me some more details of your proposed project and your status, I might be able to have an ask around.

Last edited:
Why not just pursue your own research? Several books on cosmology and GR have "tough" questions that can form the basis of little research projects...

Maybe look for seminars and conferences that are happening in the UK. Simply tell the seminar organiser, by email, who are you and ask if you can attend. No doubt people will ask you about your research and you can get useful feedback, maybe even offers to join them! Example:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/gr/seminars/

If you are tempted at all by the prospect of doing a research degree in the UK you could look out for open days:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/physics/admissions/pg/open_days

There, again, you can discuss your research interests and maybe get offers to come and study with someone...

Another possibility to get to talk to British cosmologists is "Outreach activities":

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/physics/outreach/

Many of these activities are aimed at schoolkids, but some are aimed at "everyone". Could be a fun day out, especially in Brighton! (Nice seaside resort as well as centre for cosmology... ) You can "talk shop" over lunch...

Jodrell bank is a great place to visit:

http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/visitorcentre/

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice would be to contact departments/potential supervisors by email and ask what opportunities are available. A lot of universities have some scheme to fund a few students through the summer to perform 6 - 10 weeks or research. I know the University of Manchester had 10 funded places last summer. Imperial College also has a particularly big scheme called UROP (undergrad research opportunities placement) and more details can be found here (http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/urop). I'm sure many other universities will also have schemes.

For nanotechnology I would look into the London Centre for Nanotechnology which is joint between Imperial and UCL. Also for nano, check out Manchester (the birth place of graphene!) and Bristol, both of which do a lot of research in the area. I know nothing about cosmology, but I hear that Durham University is good for computational cosmology.

Bare in mind the funded placements are usually aimed at UK/EU students so it might be difficult to find funding. Still it never hurts to ask around there is certainly nothing to lose from trying.

for your interest in conducting research in the UK this summer. The UK is home to many prestigious universities that offer excellent research opportunities in both cosmology and nanotechnology. Some universities to consider for your research interests are the University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Imperial College London, and University College London. Each of these universities has renowned departments in both cosmology and nanotechnology, with experts in the field who could serve as potential mentors for your research.

In terms of specific programs, you may want to look into the summer research programs offered by these universities, such as the Cambridge International Summer Program or the Oxford Summer Research Program. Additionally, many of these universities have partnerships with US universities and may offer exchange programs for undergraduate research. It would be beneficial to reach out to the physics departments at these universities to inquire about potential research opportunities and programs available for international students.

As for your research interests, it would be helpful to specify your specific areas of focus within cosmology and nanotechnology. This will allow you to target specific experts and programs that align with your interests. For example, if you are interested in non-FRW models in cosmology, you may want to reach out to researchers in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at the University of Cambridge. If you are interested in electric field effects on nanostructures, you may want to look into the research being conducted at the London Centre for Nanotechnology at University College London.

Overall, the UK offers a rich academic and research environment for students in the field of physics, and I am confident that you will be able to find a program and university that best fits your research interests and goals. Best of luck in your search and I hope you have a fulfilling and productive summer in the UK.

1. Where can I find opportunities for Cosmology or nanotechnology research over the summer in England?

There are various websites and databases that list research opportunities in England for both Cosmology and nanotechnology. Some popular sites include ScienceCareers, FindAPhD, and Nature Careers. You can also check with universities and research institutions directly to see if they have any openings for summer research positions.

2. What qualifications do I need to participate in summer research for Cosmology or nanotechnology in England?

The qualifications may vary depending on the specific research position, but generally, you will need to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, or engineering. Some research positions may also require previous research experience or specific skills in coding or data analysis. It is important to carefully review the qualifications listed for each position and determine if you meet the requirements before applying.

3. Are there any funding opportunities available for summer research in Cosmology or nanotechnology in England?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for summer research in England. Some universities and research institutions offer their own funding for research positions, while there are also external funding sources such as scholarships and grants. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early, as they may have specific application deadlines.

4. Can I participate in both Cosmology and nanotechnology research over the summer in England?

It is possible to participate in both Cosmology and nanotechnology research over the summer in England, but it will depend on the availability of research positions and your qualifications. It is important to carefully review the research positions and determine if you have the necessary skills and qualifications for each before applying.

5. Are there any specific locations in England that are known for their Cosmology or nanotechnology research?

There are several locations in England that are known for their research in Cosmology and nanotechnology. Some notable universities and research institutions include the University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, and the London Centre for Nanotechnology. However, there are also research opportunities available at other institutions and it is important to consider the specific research project and position rather than just the location when searching for summer research opportunities.