Register to reply

Is everything a concept?

by cs23
Tags: concept
Share this thread:
cs23
Feb20-12, 04:20 PM
P: 66
Centripetal acceleration is a concept. Can we say calculators,t.v. remotes are also concepts.

OR only the intangible things are concepts (such as torque, centripetal acceleration)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
ModusPwnd
Feb20-12, 04:21 PM
P: 1,066
I would say, with caution, yes. We are not privy to 'reality', only observations. We create concepts to rationalize our observations. In this sense, observations are the only 'thing' thats not a concept.
HallsofIvy
Feb20-12, 04:31 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,533
The idea of a "t.v. remote" (what Plato would have called an "ideal") is a concept. A specific t.v. remote in your hand or sitting beside you is not.

zoobyshoe
Feb20-12, 04:54 PM
P: 5,630
Is everything a concept?

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
The idea of a "t.v. remote" (what Plato would have called an "ideal") is a concept. A specific t.v. remote in your hand or sitting beside you is not.
I just dropped a cup. That instance of centripetal acceleration was not conceptual. Correct?
Bobbywhy
Feb20-12, 06:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,906
cs23, I suggest you start with looking up the meaning of the word "concept" in the dictionary. Do not be satisfied with just one dictionary...check severarl different ones to get a good idea of the meaning of "concept". Then you can decide for yourself if something fits the definition or not.
Pythagorean
Feb20-12, 06:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
I just dropped a cup. That instance of centripetal acceleration was not conceptual. Correct?
No. We use the word to refer to the event itself, even though it references a concept that is not necessarily the event; we just take for granted that it is. So one can study centripetal acceleration as a concept, but you can also actually experience it as a real event.
cs23
Feb20-12, 06:11 PM
How do i know if something is a concept?
AlephZero
Feb20-12, 06:58 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,147
Quote Quote by cs23 View Post
How do i know if something is a concept?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson came up with a pretty good test: if you kick it and it hurts your toe, it's not a concept.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb20-12, 07:00 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson came up with a pretty good test: if you kick it and it hurts your toe, it's not a concept.
I kicked my wife and it hurt my nose. Is she a concept?
cs23
Feb20-12, 08:26 PM
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Nice, i get it. It's exactly what i was looking for

Register to reply