Matlab character matrices

by DmytriE
Tags: character, matlab, matrices
Share this thread:
DmytriE
Feb20-12, 05:37 PM
P: 75
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I can input a matrix into Matlab that contains characters. I then would like to manipulate the matrix using row changing operations. Matlab, however, will not allow me to create a matrix with letters. Is there an equivalent to a matrix for character values that can have operations performed on them?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
jhae2.718
Feb21-12, 12:08 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
You may want to look into using a cell: http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/cell.html
DmytriE
Feb21-12, 06:37 AM
P: 75
Maybe I'm using cells incorrectly, but to test I am multiplying a 4x4 matrix / array with the 4x4 identity. It should return the original matrix / array. However, I get an error message that won't allow me to perform the operation.

"??? Undefined function or method 'mtimes' for input arguments of type 'cell'.

This is irritating. I wanted to use this as a check for my homework but I can't. Is there anyway around this error?

Thanks!

jhae2.718
Feb21-12, 07:58 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Matlab character matrices

Are you just trying to do symbolic math with matrices? You can use sym or the shortcut syms to create symbolic variables and then create a matrix using them. E.g. for something like
[tex]
\begin{vmatrix}
a & b \\
c & d
\end{vmatrix} = ad - bc
[/tex]
you could do:
syms a b c d real;
det([a b; c d]);
I didn't realize you needed to do matrix arithmetic, so cells won't work.

Register to reply