Matlab character matrices

by DmytriE
Tags: character, matlab, matrices
Share this thread:
DmytriE
Feb20-12, 05:37 PM
P: 75
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I can input a matrix into Matlab that contains characters. I then would like to manipulate the matrix using row changing operations. Matlab, however, will not allow me to create a matrix with letters. Is there an equivalent to a matrix for character values that can have operations performed on them?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
jhae2.718
Feb21-12, 12:08 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
You may want to look into using a cell: http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/cell.html
DmytriE
Feb21-12, 06:37 AM
P: 75
Maybe I'm using cells incorrectly, but to test I am multiplying a 4x4 matrix / array with the 4x4 identity. It should return the original matrix / array. However, I get an error message that won't allow me to perform the operation.

"??? Undefined function or method 'mtimes' for input arguments of type 'cell'.

This is irritating. I wanted to use this as a check for my homework but I can't. Is there anyway around this error?

Thanks!

jhae2.718
Feb21-12, 07:58 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Matlab character matrices

Are you just trying to do symbolic math with matrices? You can use sym or the shortcut syms to create symbolic variables and then create a matrix using them. E.g. for something like
[tex]
\begin{vmatrix}
a & b \\
c & d
\end{vmatrix} = ad - bc
[/tex]
you could do:
syms a b c d real;
det([a b; c d]);
I didn't realize you needed to do matrix arithmetic, so cells won't work.

Register to reply