Second derivative

by Rasalhague
Tags: derivative
Rasalhague
Feb20-12, 09:43 PM
P: 1,400
http://www.math.northwestern.edu/cou..._Placement.pdf

Question 7 here involves a function with the rule f(x) = 3x5-5x3. I computed the 2nd derivative as f''(x) = 60x3-30x (Mathematica agrees.), giving inflection points for f at -1/sqrt(2), 0, 1/sqrt(2). But the answer given in the PDF is 4x(4x2 - 3), whence they conclude the inflection points are -sqrt(3)/2, 0, sqrt(3)/2. Is this a mistake, or have I overlooked something?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Norwegian
Feb21-12, 01:36 AM
P: 144
You are right, and that is btw not the only mistake in that pdf.
Rasalhague
Feb21-12, 09:11 AM
Thanks for confirming that, Norwegian. Could you tell me any others, or do you know if there's a list of errata anywhere online?

Norwegian
Feb21-12, 01:10 PM
P: 144

Second derivative

1d, derivative of ln(..) seems wrong, probably more mistakes too
Rasalhague
Feb21-12, 02:14 PM
Oh yes, wow, so it is! The derivative of ln(2t3-1) is 6t2/(2t3-1), not 6t2/(ln(2t3-1)). When I was checking my answers for those simple ones at the beginning and saw they had something slightly different for 1d, I just assumed it was a typo on my part and didn't look that closely.

Register to reply