by Chi Meson
Tags: competition, early, robotics
Share this thread:
Chi Meson
Feb18-12, 09:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
I don't win that often. I'm not saying I'm a loser, either, just the kinda guy that keeps coming in 2nd, or 3rd and such. I'm used to it.

So my team won the Suffield Shakedown, a pre-season scrimmage of the FIRST Robotics Competition. 30 teams were there, including some heavy New England favorites. Here's a video of our winning alliance in the semis.

2168 is my team (Aluminum Falcons). Our alliance partners are 176 (Aces High) and 716 (Whos-C'techs).

That's me walking along the back (with stiff elbows) at 0:20
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Evo
Feb18-12, 10:18 PM
Mentor
P: 26,524
Congratulations!!
zoobyshoe
Feb18-12, 11:07 PM
P: 5,630
Are these remote controlled or are they sensing and calculating everything themselves?

rootX
Feb18-12, 11:30 PM
P: 1,294
Just won an early robotics competition!

Congrats!

drizzle
Feb19-12, 05:59 AM
PF Gold
P: 525
Congrats :)
Astronuc
Feb19-12, 06:25 AM
Admin
P: 21,866
Congratulations, Chi.

Reminds me of a term I heard recently - 'geeking out'. In that case it was a technical discussion.
Chi Meson
Feb19-12, 11:40 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Are these remote controlled or are they sensing and calculating everything themselves?
Both:
The first 15 seconds is an "autonomous" period. Then you can hear the "clang, clang, clang" which indicates the beginning of the 2 minute "teleoperated" period. The last 30 seconds are when the robots try to balance on the bridge. More robots mean more bonus points. Theoretically, 3 robots should just be able to balance on that bridge.
edward
Feb19-12, 06:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 875
Fantastic Chi

My 10 year old grandson will love this. At this point I have him take things apart and then reassemble them, hopefully with no parts left over.
wuliheron
Feb19-12, 07:42 PM
P: 1,967
Nice crowd. This could be the next big sport with a few sexy robotic cheer leaders.
jhae2.718
Feb19-12, 07:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Awesome. I never did FIRST, but I did participate in BEST Robotics in HS.
Integral
Feb21-12, 09:30 AM
Mentor
P: 7,318
Congrats Chi!

Boy you guys have a very formal scrimmage, ours is MUCH smaller and for the most part only the teams show up. No loudspeakers, no formal matches. With only a half dozen or so teams it is hard to justify much.
micromass
Feb21-12, 09:58 AM
Mentor
P: 18,240
Wonderful!! Looks like an exciting game.
Ivan Seeking
Feb21-12, 11:10 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
Congrats Chi, and good luck to you and your team this year.

I'm not participating this year.
Borek
Feb21-12, 01:28 PM
Admin
P: 23,536
Congrats Chi (and your team)!!!!
Chi Meson
Feb21-12, 06:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Integral View Post
Congrats Chi!

Boy you guys have a very formal scrimmage, ours is MUCH smaller and for the most part only the teams show up. No loudspeakers, no formal matches. With only a half dozen or so teams it is hard to justify much.
That's big New England Advantage. There are two preseason scrimmages within a 2 hour drive of each other. Each with 24 to 30 teams. This one is one of the oldest, hosted by team 176 (our alliance partners there!) Aces High, a well-established team.
Moonbear
Feb21-12, 07:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Very cool! Congrats!
Chi Meson
Feb22-12, 03:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Here's the 2nd and final game of our best of 3 finals match. Ironically, perhaps, not the best performace of the afternoon. Luckily balls were stuck under both bridges so neither team could get the bonus points.

The camera pans to our team after the game. That's me in the center back just before the camera pans back to the field. Good times.
ThinkToday
Apr23-12, 02:51 PM
P: 172
Quote Quote by Chi Meson View Post
I don't win that often. I'm not saying I'm a loser, either, just the kinda guy that keeps coming in 2nd, or 3rd and such. I'm used to it.

So my team won the Suffield Shakedown, a pre-season scrimmage of the FIRST Robotics Competition. 30 teams were there, including some heavy New England favorites. Here's a video of our winning alliance in the semis.
My son is on team 3044 (www.team3044.com). This was his first FIRST year and the team's 3rd year. I think they finished 2nd, if it's the one that was at RIT. If your school doesn't have one, they should look into it. http://www.usfirst.org/ Some schools budget the expense, but Team 3044 raises the money. The mentors (usually engineers, scientists, teachers, computer programmers, etc.) are largely parents of students that work in the area/profession they are mentoring. Some parents enjoy it so much they continue mentoring after their child is gone.

The more I heard about the program the more I liked it. For those, like me, that were unaware of it, this is a quote from the FIRST web pages. How can you not like the attitude?

"Special Message from the GDC

The Coopertition Bridge in Rebound Rumble is this year’s method of fostering Coopertition and Gracious Professionalism among students while inspiring an appreciation of science and technology. The white bridge's purpose is to motivate participating players, teams and alliances to collaborate with other players, teams and alliances (even in the heat of competition) by rewarding them for working together. Coopertition and Gracious Professionalism are tenets of FIRST – they are part of what makes FIRST different and wonderful; all FIRST participants, teams and alliances should strive to exercise those principals at every given opportunity. To quote Woodie, “FIRST does not celebrate being an incompetent jerk. FIRST does celebrate high-quality, well-informed work done in a manner that leaves everyone feeling valued.” In other words, bullying, coercion, and unsportsmanlike conduct have no place in FIRST. We expect all teams to always try their best to accomplish the tasks at hand, and always push themselves to achieve even greater successes. Best of luck to all of you as you continue to balance the real-life struggles of competing against each other while cooperating with each other – both on and off the Court.
"

Register to reply