Best High School books for Physics and Mathematics?

by Dr. Physics
Tags: books, mathematics, physics, school
Dr. Physics
Feb21-12, 02:41 PM
P: 33
I am doing my 12th grade and I need physics books that can strengthen my concepts and ability to problem solving.
I have following topics in Physics:
1.Electrostatics.
2.Current Electricity.
3.Magnetic Effects of current and magnetism.
4.Electromagnetic Induction.
5.Alternating Current.
6.Electromagnetic Waves.
7.Optics.
8.Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation.
9.Atoms and Nuclei.
10.Electronic Devices.
11.Communication System.
By my research online I found Halliday,Krane, I.E Irodov, Krotov, Feynman Lectures.
So which one should I buy and also recommend books other than these.
---------------------------------------------
For Mathematics I have Following Topics:
1.Functions.
2.Inverse Trigometry functions.
3.Matrices.
4.Determinant.
5.Deferential Equation and Derivatives.
6.Application of Derivatives.
7.Integrals and Its Application.
8.Vectors.
9.3D Geometry Vectors.
10.Linear Programming.
11.Probability.
By my research online I found T.H Apostal's Calculus, I.A Maron Calculus one variable,Higher Algebra Hall & Knight, Elementary Mathematics by G Dorofeev, Problems In Mathematics by Govorov V, Differential And Integral Calculus by N Piskunov
So which one should I buy and also recommend books other than these.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Fewmet
Feb21-12, 03:11 PM
P: 329
I think Hewitt's Conceptual Physics is great for the concepts, especially if you work with the end-of-chapter exercises.

Asimov wrote a three volume set called Understanding Physics that is also very good for the conceptual side. It is out of print, but easy to come by used.
penta-d
Feb21-12, 04:53 PM
P: 12
I've heard good things about Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley (out of print but may be available used or from the library) and Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics.

I really like Morris Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach. It's a Dover book, so available at a low price. Also, if you email Dover they will send you a pdf solution manual (covering both odd and even numbered problems) at no extra charge.

Sorry that I can't be of much help on the items you've listed. The Feynman Lectures are wonderful, conceptually speaking, but may or may not be the best choice for improving your problem solving abilities (in the immediate term anyway). Apostol would have been a good bit too advanced for me in high school, but I realize we are all different.

Dr. Physics
Feb23-12, 06:26 AM
P: 33

Best High School books for Physics and Mathematics?

thanks guys but Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley is very rare book and it is difficult to get in India.
I want those books which can be self study at own paced and has good concepts explanation and also some problem solving techniques with rigor problems.
I found this books available in India:
MATHEMATICAL METHODS IN THE PHYSICAL SCIENCES
Calculus with Early Transcendentals Functions Stewart James
Essential Calculus with Early Transcendentals- Stewart James
Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics-John W. Jewett, Raymond A. Serway
Introductory Physics: Building Understanding-Jerold Touger
Understanding Physics- Karen Cummings, Priscilla W. Laws, Edward F Redish, Patrick J. Cooney

Register to reply