Feb21-12, 05:08 PM
Admin
P: 23,577
Major Major Major Major?
Lacy33
Feb21-12, 05:38 PM
P: 335
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Borek has been friendly to me in a material way. He very generously helped me to obtain copies of genealogical records from the Polish State Archives.
Borek has been helpful to me too with genealogy. Thank you Borek.
genericusrnme
Feb21-12, 05:38 PM
P: 615
I don't really know anyone here
I just try and help people over in homework and coursework

I'd like to be everyone's friend though!
netgypsy
Feb21-12, 06:29 PM
P: 239
I'm another newby who missed the wonderful camaraderie I had as an undergrad in the physics study lounge in college and decided to seek it out on the internet.

I've met some really wonderful people on here in the few months I've been on, got some great recipes, learned more about eggplant than I really needed to know, helped with homework until I ran out of yellow legal pads which I've finally replenished, and had a lot of fun in the relationship section and random thoughts.

My fish is the whale shark because a baby whale shark thought my boat was its mom and it laid its head on my dive platform and cosied up to the boat for quite a while. it was very cute in a very very large sort of way but I have no idea why I was asked for "my fish".

I posted a long poem for Borek to help with weird English but don't know if he saw it.

In all my other forums I personally know many of the members but so far on here I haven't run across any I know. I'm game for that Aruba meeting so I can see the goats in the dividivi trees one more time.
Evo
Feb21-12, 06:34 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
Quote Quote by netgypsy View Post
learned more about eggplant than I really needed to know,
I actually have more information on eggplants...

My fish is the whale shark because a baby whale shark thought my boat was its mom and it laid its head on my dive platform and cosied up to the boat for quite a while. it was very cute in a very very large sort of way but I have no idea why I was asked for "my fish".
You didn't get fish whacked?
netgypsy
Feb21-12, 06:58 PM
P: 239
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I actually have more information on eggplants...

Please share the eggplant info

Nope???

Speaking of naming, I know many girls who have been named after their fathers. My grandmother's name was Williamena after her father William, my next door neighbor's daughter was named Clintandra after father, Clint, and mother, Sandra. A female friend was named Michael after her father.
Dembadon
Feb21-12, 07:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 641
Some of the most genuine people I've ever met are members of this forum. I'd like to think I've made a few friends here, even if it hasn't been explicitly stated or made official by any means.
George Jones
Feb21-12, 07:14 PM
Mentor
P: 6,245
Please share the eggplant info.
My wife makes baingan aloo.
Evo
Feb21-12, 07:24 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
Nope???
THWACK!!!

You are now officially initiated into Physics Forums.
dlgoff
Feb21-12, 08:41 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,725
Quote Quote by genericusrnme View Post
I don't really know anyone here
I just try and help people over in homework and coursework

I'd like to be everyone's friend though!

Quote Quote by wukunlin View Post
haven't been here for longer enough for that.
Maybe sometime in the future, hopefully.
Quantum Physics and Optoelectronics?

Sounds like friends material to me.
turbo
Feb21-12, 08:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Quantum Physics and Optoelectronics?

Sounds like friends material to me.
Without motorcycle mechanics? We need more "stuff". Some sciences are "interesting", but lack substance.
dlgoff
Feb21-12, 09:13 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,725
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Without motorcycle mechanics? We need more "stuff". Some sciences are "interesting", but lack substance.
Well. Anyone who can consume Ghost Peppers without blinking has to be a friend of mine; motorcycles or not.
turbo
Feb21-12, 09:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Well. Anyone who can consume Ghost Peppers without blinking has to be a friend of mine; motorcycles or not.
OK, there are reasonable exceptions. The first year that I had a garden here, my neighbor walked up here, and I picked a couple of ripe Savinas as we cruised the garden spot. I ate mine. He nibbled on the end of his, and took it back home with him.
Integral
Feb21-12, 09:30 PM
Mentor
P: 7,318
I have met Ivan Seeking & Tsu(They are practically neighbors), Janus, Om Cheeto, Astronuc, Gokul, and Kerrie.

Seems like Astonuc has met the most different members.
ThomasT
Feb21-12, 10:33 PM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
I have only met Astro in person, but have had nice times with his wife and kids. I'd like Chi to come up this way, but he has better mountains closer.

Other PF friends that I can't lose are Evo, Drizzle (Gad), Rhody, Danger, Zoobie, MIH, Pooh, and Mr. Borkowski. (probably many, many more, too, but I just can't list everybody.)
The people that are listed in my profile as friends are there either because they asked me to be a PF friend (the distinct minority), or because I asked them due to some feeling on my part (after reading dozens, maybe hundreds, of their posts) that I had gotten to know and therefore trust them in some simpatico sense. You, turbo, are one such person.

I've never met anybody in person that I've conversed with online, though I still trade emails with people who I became acquainted with more than a decade ago via other websites like the old mp3.com, soundclick.com, usenet's sci.physics.com, and various science oriented yahoo and google groups that I no longer frequent.

It's interesting how one can get a certain measure and estimation of a person's personality, etc. from online discussions.

I fairly recently resumed contact, via the internet, with an old friend (an old roommate and close personal friend) who I hadn't seen in almost 40 years, and who a mutual friend and I thought had passed away.

But that's getting off-topic. Anyway, to reply to your OP, no I don't have any close PF friends, but there are at least a couple dozen PF contributors who I consider to be online friends (in the simpatico sense, ie., I think I know where they're coming from and generally like their posts) -- and I'll get around to asking some of those who aren't now on my PF friends list to be PF friends. If they accept, then great. If not, then they can go to hell.

Nice topic as usual, turbo, and interesting comments.
Borek
Feb22-12, 02:33 AM
Admin
P: 23,577
My fish is the whale shark
Ouch.

I posted a long poem for Borek to help with weird English but don't know if he saw it.
I did.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Nope???
How could it be? But I see Evo already did the honors

Keep us posted about how you feel after you get back from ER.

Register to reply