additionl field proportional to magnetisation?

by jd12345
Tags: additionl, field, magnetisation, proportional
jd12345
Feb23-12, 10:58 AM
P: 260
Magnetisation of a sample is net dipole moment per unit volume i.e. M = m(net) / V

It turns out that magnetic field due to the material is proportional to magnetisation
i.e. B(magnetic field due to material) = μM
Any explanation to this? It should be proportional but any proof for this or is it just experimental
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
tiny-tim
Feb23-12, 04:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi jd12345!
Quote Quote by jd12345 View Post
Magnetisation of a sample is net dipole moment per unit volume i.e. M = m(net) / V

It turns out that magnetic field due to the material is proportional to magnetisation
i.e. B(magnetic field due to material) = μM
Any explanation to this? It should be proportional but any proof for this or is it just experimental
isn't it B = o(M + H) = H ?

M and H are measured in electric units, as electric current/distance (Am-1),

(magnetic dipole moment is charge times distance/time, = distance times charge/time = distance times electric current, in A.m)

but B is measured in magnetic units, as magnetic flux/area (Wb.m-2)

there's no fundamental reason for this they're all the same thing! it's just more convenient in practice!

so to convert between these different species of units, we must have a universal conversion factor, and that's o (in Wb.A-1m-1 or T.m.A-1)
(as opposed to o) is just a trick to make it look as if B is proportional to H on its own

Register to reply