Register to reply

Cyclic Permutation in C

by TheSourceCode
Tags: cyclic, permutation
Share this thread:
TheSourceCode
Feb22-12, 11:39 PM
P: 14
Use nested for loops to produce the following pattern of cyclic permutations of the English
alphabet:
abcde......yz
bcdef......za
cdef......zab
zabcde......xy
HINT: you may find the modulo (remainder) operator % useful.

I have an idea of how to do this but it would not use the modulo operator. I thought of saving the first letter of an array into a variable, shifting everything else down one and putting it at the end. This also would only implement a single for loop. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Joffan
Feb23-12, 12:09 AM
P: 361
Yes, there are probably a million ways to do this, but I suggest that you have one loop generating the first character of each string and an inner loop (since that what was asked for) generating the successive letters of each string - using modulo operator to make the wrap from z to a.
TheSourceCode
Feb23-12, 11:13 AM
P: 14
Thanks a lot. Took me a bit to get the wrap around to work properly but I got it. I don't think modulo was very intuitive to me before but now I get it.

Register to reply