Register to reply

Cyclic Permutation in C

by TheSourceCode
Tags: cyclic, permutation
Share this thread:
TheSourceCode
Feb22-12, 11:39 PM
P: 14
Use nested for loops to produce the following pattern of cyclic permutations of the English
alphabet:
abcde......yz
bcdef......za
cdef......zab
zabcde......xy
HINT: you may find the modulo (remainder) operator % useful.

I have an idea of how to do this but it would not use the modulo operator. I thought of saving the first letter of an array into a variable, shifting everything else down one and putting it at the end. This also would only implement a single for loop. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Joffan
Feb23-12, 12:09 AM
P: 361
Yes, there are probably a million ways to do this, but I suggest that you have one loop generating the first character of each string and an inner loop (since that what was asked for) generating the successive letters of each string - using modulo operator to make the wrap from z to a.
TheSourceCode
Feb23-12, 11:13 AM
P: 14
Thanks a lot. Took me a bit to get the wrap around to work properly but I got it. I don't think modulo was very intuitive to me before but now I get it.

Register to reply