Crucible and Oily fingers

by disneychannel
Tags: crucible, fingers, heat
disneychannel
Feb23-12, 07:35 AM
P: 53
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The crucible is handled with oily fingers after its mass measurement but before the ~3 gram sample of the hydrated salt is measured. Subsequently(after measuring the hydrated salt,the oil is burned off. How does this technique error affect the reported % water in the hydrated salt. Explain

3. The attempt at a solution
The measurement of the crucible will be accurate, but after touching the crucible with the oily fingers, it will contaminate the surface of the crucible. After weighing the hydrated surface and then burning the crucible, it will seem that more water was lost because the oily fingers would have increased the mass of the hydrated salt.

I'm kind of having second thoughts on my answer....part of my mind thinks it will no be affected? HELP!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Moonbear
Feb24-12, 10:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Your initial response is correct, now convince yourself of it to make sure you understand. Take it one step at a time to determine where the error is. If it helps, make up a number for the mass of the oily fingerprint so you can track its effect quantitatively.

Register to reply