Register to reply

Rick Santorum's candidacy ...

by ThomasT
Tags: candidacy, rick, santorum
Share this thread:
jreelawg
Feb22-12, 09:11 PM
P: 450
It's just funny watching him try to lie about it.
Alfi
Feb23-12, 07:58 AM
P: 151
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=F0XkXRoT558
Re: a date night with Obama.

I wondered if Santorum knew how much praise he was heaping on Obama ... then

oh ya oh ya ... but this is a waste of money ... use yer local bar eh pres.
Impress the country or impress your date ... ? hehehe

when the Prez does a date ... why hold back.

( personaly ... I hope the prez is a 'mile high' club member on AirForce1 ... I would be. :) )
Office_Shredder
Feb24-12, 08:24 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...ctionContent.4

On the president's efforts to boost college attendance, Santorum said, "I understand why Barack Obama wants to send every kid to college, because of their indoctrination mills, absolutely ... The indoctrination that is going on at the university level is a harm to our country."
The man's a loon.
Hobin
Feb24-12, 08:56 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
I'm not an American, but for the sake of that (and my own) country, I sincerely hope this guy doesn't get elected.
ThomasT
Feb24-12, 08:56 PM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by Hobin View Post
I'm not an American, but for the sake of that (and my own) country, I sincerely hope this guy doesn't get elected.
I don't think he will, but then I didn't think that G.W. Bush would get elected either. Of course in the first election he didn't actually get elected. Maybe the same sort of thing could happen with Santorum or ... Romney. Considering this, maybe I will vote for Obama.
MarcoD
Feb24-12, 08:58 PM
P: 98
Ah, well, we're just kids in a sandbox for grown-ups.

(I am the one most to the left.)
WhoWee
Feb24-12, 09:29 PM
P: 1,123
Does anyone want to discuss Santorum's voting record or comments about the economy (very pro-manufacturing) or foreign policy (very tough on Iran)?
ThomasT
Feb24-12, 09:32 PM
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
Does anyone want to discuss Santorum's voting record or comments about the economy (very pro-manufacturing) or foreign policy (very tough on Iran)?
I'd prefer to focus on his religious fanaticism. But if you have something to offer in favor of Santorum, then what is it?
WhoWee
Feb24-12, 09:37 PM
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
I'd prefer to focus on his religious fanaticism. But if you have something to offer in favor of Santorum, then what is it?
Has he ever given a religious speech on the floor of the US Senate?
ThomasT
Feb24-12, 09:43 PM
Has he ever given a religious speech on the floor of the US Senate?
I don't know. I only watch C-Span intermittently. It would be cool, imho, but I don't think he's that stupid. Then again, I'm just waiting for some sort of quote like "God told me to ... " whatever. I just hope it doesn't happen while he's president. But I don't really think there's much chance of that happening.
WhoWee
Feb24-12, 09:48 PM
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
I don't know. I only watch C-Span intermittently. It would be cool, imho, but I don't think he's that stupid. Then again, I'm just waiting for some sort of quote like "God told me to ... " whatever. I just hope it doesn't happen while he's president. But I don't really think there's much chance of that happening.
I've watched Santorum for a long time - he's all business. This emphasis on social policy has been media driven - IMO.
ThomasT
Feb24-12, 10:05 PM
I've watched Santorum for a long time - he's all business. This emphasis on social policy has been media driven - IMO.
So, you don't think he's a religious fanatic? What, just a good actor appealing to the religious right base?
Evo
Feb24-12, 10:20 PM
Mentor
P: 26,659
Does anyone if this forum seriously think they'll vote for him?

Santorum is not merely engaged in a culture war, but “a spiritual war,” as he called it four years ago. “The Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country — the United States of America,” he told students at Ave Maria University in Florida. He added that mainline Protestantism in this country “is in shambles. It is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it.”

Satan strikes, a Catholic exorcist told me, when there are “soul wounds.” Santorum, who is considered “too Catholic” even by my über-Catholic brothers, clearly believes that America’s soul wounds include men and women having sex for reasons other than procreation, people involved in same-sex relationships, women using contraception or having prenatal testing, environmentalists who elevate “the Earth above man,” women working outside the home, “anachronistic” public schools, Mormonism (which he said is considered “a dangerous cult” by some Christians), and President Obama (whom he obliquely and oddly compared to Hitler and accused of having “some phony theology”).
Bolding mine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/op...cism.html?_r=1
ThomasT
Feb24-12, 10:35 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Does anyone if this forum seriously think they'll vote for him?
He's a strange person ... to me. But, apparently, not so strange to, maybe, about half of America. Scary? Maybe. But then I remember the environement I grew up in. For example, African Americans were prohibited by law from being within the town limits after 6 pm. The evangelical Baptist church reigned supreme, even in a town which was predominantly Catholic.

As far as I can tell, it isn't a whole lot different today. I'm just glad I left. But the point is that a large part of America is in tune with Santorum and other Christian religious zealots. Better than fundamentalist Muslims I guess. At least I know what I'm dealing with. But sort of sad, imho, nonetheless.
WhoWee
Feb25-12, 09:54 AM
Since Santorum's religious statements are the only topic of discussion - when he said (from the above posted New York Times Opinion Page) "“Satan has his sights on the United States of America,” " - wasn't he trying metaphorically to say the US is a "good place" - and if we're not careful - it will become a bad place?
ThomasT
Feb25-12, 10:32 AM
Since Santorum's religious statements are the only topic of discussion - when he said (from the above posted New York Times Opinion Page) "“Satan has his sights on the United States of America,” " - wasn't he trying metaphorically to say the US is a "good place" - and if we're not careful - it will become a bad place?
It could be taken that way. But he, like other devout Christians I've known, seems to believe that there actually is a supernatural being, Satan, with extended human-like traits, and who is the precipitator of evil in the world.

I don't think he takes the mythological constructs of Christianity as metaphors. I think he's operating from a literalist understanding of the Christian bible.

I don't want to think he's that ... backward. But he did after all say it the way he said it.
WhoWee
Feb25-12, 10:40 AM
From the link in post #193 - my bold - he's his own worst enemy. my color change

"PHOENIX--Rick Santorum on Tuesday stood by comments he made in 2008 about Satan attacking the United States, telling reporters here that he is going to “stay on message” and continue to talk about jobs, security, and “taking on forces around this world who want to do harm to America.”

The three-year-old speech is getting renewed scrutiny after several Web-based publications circulated audio and text of his remarks over the holiday weekend. Speaking to a group at Ave Maria University in Naples, Fla., Santorum said, “This is not a political war at all. This is not a cultural war at all. This is a spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies, Satan, would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country: the United States of America.”

When reporters asked about the comments at a rally on Tuesday evening, Santorum said, “I believe in good and evil. I think if somehow or another, because you’re a person of faith, you believe in good and evil [and it’s] a disqualifier for president, we’re going to have a very small pool of candidates who can run for president.”
Asked whether he still thinks that Satan is attacking the United States, Santorum called the inquiry “not relevant to what’s being discussed in America today.”

“If they want to dig up old speeches of me talking to religious groups, they can go ahead and do so, but I’m going to stay on message and I’m going to talk about things that Americans want to talk about,” Santorum said, “which is creating jobs, making our country more secure, and, yeah, taking on the forces around his world who want to do harm to America, and you bet I will take them on.”

Earlier, he pledged to “defend everything I say” after noting that people might worry about his statements because he isn’t “robotic” like some of the more “commoditized candidates.”"
ThomasT
Feb25-12, 10:59 AM
... he's his own worst enemy. ...
Only wrt people who don't believe as he does. The problem is that there are lots of people who do believe as he does.

Register to reply