Register to reply

Permanent magnet strength

by eddybob123
Tags: magnet, permanent, strength
Share this thread:
eddybob123
Nov1-11, 09:57 PM
P: 115
What about all the other positions on the rotating pivot? What will happen to the equation?
clem
Nov2-11, 06:34 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,256
It gets much more complicated, requiring a Legendre polynomial expansion.
The formula would be simpler if d>>R.
eddybob123
Nov2-11, 05:58 PM
Okay, I looked it up on the Internet but I don't understand how it fits into magnetism.
eddybob123
Nov3-11, 05:53 PM
Shouldn't it fit into an inverse square law of some sort, like gravity? Magnetism is similar to gravity in several ways except with gravity, you don't care what the object looks like, as long as it has a designated mass. And with magnetism, the area of the faces closest to the other magnet varies the result. Obviously, two cylindrical magnets each weighing 100 grams one meter apart, both with a base area of ten square centimeters, has less force pulling on them than two cylindrical magnets each weighing 100 grams one meter apart, both with a base area of twenty square centimeters. So it is kind of like the inverse square law, except with an extra bit added concerning the area of the face of the magnet. I need to know that "extra bit".
stephenbosley
Feb25-12, 05:03 PM
P: 2
I guess the question we are asking ourselves is "can you calculate the flux of a permanent magnet and how does one go about do that?" Yes it is possible with a coil or inductor.
Hassan2
Feb25-12, 11:53 PM
P: 409
This post is quite old and you might have found the solution. If not, you need to use Maxwell Stress Tensor. It makes the calculation very convenient. http://www.fieldp.com/documents/stresstensor.pdf

Register to reply