Searching for problems in fiber, splicing or connector

• Thread starter mimonici
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fiber
In summary, Claude was trying to achieve a specific result with his fiber laser setup, but it wasn't clear enough for the OSA to pick it up. He then tried to improve the setup by changing some components, but it still didn't work. He needs more data to figure out what is wrong.
mimonici
I've made fiber laser system. Previously, there's no problem in my set up and achieved good result.
Further, when I want to repeat that experiment with similar set up, spectrum shows quite worse than previous.
I'd try to check,change certain new fiber components,connectors but it still worse.
How can I improve that, to find out what actually the probable problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
You don't include any details of your system so I don't think anyone can help you much, yet. There are two approaches to 'something not working'. You can replace one component at a time (why car repairs are so expensive) or examine each piece in turn, testing the other pieces in alternative configurations. If you have any test equipment, then you have to sit down and use it to eliminate one element at a time until you can zero in on the cause of the problem.
A very generic answer to a very generic question.

Some things to think about;

Photo-darkening - prolific at short wavelengths.
Damage to the end-facets - prolific at high powers.

As sophiecentaur said, it is difficult to guess with limited details of the problem.

Claude.

Thank u for concern to both of u gentlemen. Alright, now I'll make it clear. I am configuring a set up of fiber laser. In the configuration contains optical components; 90:10 couplers, single mode fiber, erbium-doped fiber(s), optical circulators, laser diode(s), wavelength-division multiplexing(s), 3dB coupler, Polarization Controller and Polarization Maintaining Fiber. Certain of the components i'd spliced by using optical splicer and certain were connected with connector. I'd analyze the output by optical spectrum analyzer(OSA).
This configuration I've made to achieve broad wavelength range of spectrum of the fiber laser as 11+nm wavelength. I've got the desired result previously but unable to repeat day by day. So, after discussed, I think the desired obtained result was not clear enough because of wrong span and resolution set from the OSA. Thats why I repeat the experiment to obtain same result with improved span and resolution of the OSA. Consequently, it failed. I really need the significant data.. Any suggestion to detect what are actually the problems of my set up?

Based on the information provided, it is possible that there could be several factors contributing to the decrease in performance of the fiber laser system. One potential issue could be related to the fiber itself, such as damage or contamination that may have occurred during handling or installation. It is also possible that there could be an issue with the splicing or connectors, such as a loose connection or incorrect alignment.

To address this problem, it may be helpful to systematically troubleshoot each component of the system. This could involve carefully inspecting the fiber for any visible damage or contamination, as well as ensuring that all splices and connectors are properly aligned and secured. It may also be useful to compare the results from the previous experiment to the current one in order to identify any specific differences that could be causing the decrease in performance.

In addition, performing tests on individual components, such as using a different fiber or connector, could help to isolate the source of the problem. It may also be beneficial to consult with other experts or colleagues in the field for their insights and expertise.

Overall, it is important to carefully assess and troubleshoot each component of the fiber laser system in order to identify and address any potential issues. By systematically investigating and testing each component, it is likely that the root cause of the problem can be identified and the system can be improved for future experiments.

1. What is the importance of regularly searching for problems in fiber, splicing or connector?

Regularly searching for problems in fiber, splicing or connector is crucial because it helps to identify and address any issues that may arise before they become major problems. This can prevent costly downtime and ensure the smooth functioning of the network.

2. What are some common problems that can occur in fiber, splicing or connector?

Some common problems that can occur in fiber, splicing or connector include signal loss, attenuation, reflection, and breakage. These issues can be caused by various factors such as improper installation, environmental factors, or aging equipment.

3. How can I detect problems in fiber, splicing or connector?

There are several methods for detecting problems in fiber, splicing or connector. One way is to use a visual fault locator, which sends a red laser light through the fiber to identify any issues. Another method is using an optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR) to measure the loss and reflectance of the fiber.

4. What are some best practices for maintaining fiber, splicing or connector?

Some best practices for maintaining fiber, splicing or connector include regular cleaning and inspection, using high-quality materials and equipment, and following proper installation and handling procedures. It is also essential to have a maintenance schedule and to document all maintenance activities.

5. What should I do if I encounter a problem in fiber, splicing or connector?

If you encounter a problem in fiber, splicing or connector, the first step is to identify the source of the issue. This can be done through testing and troubleshooting techniques. If the problem cannot be resolved, it may be necessary to replace the affected component or seek professional help from a certified technician.