Is There an Error in Morris Kline's Book?

In summary, the Morris Kline book error refers to a mistake in the proof of a mathematical theorem, specifically the Pythagorean theorem, found in the book "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" by Morris Kline. The error was discovered by another mathematician, George F. Simmons, and was later corrected in subsequent editions of the book. This error highlighted the importance of double-checking and verifying mathematical proofs, even from renowned mathematicians, and showcased the collaborative nature of the scientific community.
King
Hi,

I was just reading a passage from a book by Morris Kline and he states the following:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3684/kline.jpg

For the first job, I calculated the following:
900 900 1100 1100 1300 1300 1500 1500
Have I misunderstood him, or is this an error on his behalf?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ignore thread. I overlooked the $1800 per year part.

1. What is the Morris Kline book error?

The Morris Kline book error refers to an error that was found in the book "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" by Morris Kline, a mathematician and professor.

2. What was the error in Morris Kline's book?

The error in Morris Kline's book was a mistake in the proof of a mathematical theorem, specifically the Pythagorean theorem.

3. How was the error discovered?

The error was discovered by a reader of the book, named George F. Simmons, who was also a mathematician. He noticed the mistake and brought it to Kline's attention.

4. Was the error corrected in subsequent editions of the book?

Yes, the error was corrected in later editions of the book. Kline acknowledged the mistake and made the necessary corrections in the subsequent editions.

5. How significant was the Morris Kline book error?

The Morris Kline book error was significant because it highlighted the importance of double-checking and verifying mathematical proofs, even from renowned mathematicians like Kline. It also showed the collaborative nature of the scientific community, as the error was caught and corrected by another mathematician.