Effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze

by vprantan
Tags: bronze, conductivity, effective, sintered, thermal
vprantan
Mar2-12, 04:40 AM
P: 1
Hi

I've been trying to find effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze, especially of that used in self-oiled sliding bearings (like Oilite). I need it to know how much less it is compared to dense copper alloys, eg. tin bronze.

So far my search has proven fruitless. It seems that sintered bronze manufacturers do not measure thermal conductivity at all, whereas for dense material it is normally stated.

Any help here?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
uby
Mar3-12, 04:50 PM
P: 176
The TPPC data series is quite comprehensive for thermal property data on common alloys. I'm not sure if it's been kept up to date. Purdue used to publish it, Touloukian was the editor if I recall.
ikekite
Mar19-12, 05:43 PM
P: 1
The problem with what you are asking is there is to many variables in the material to give you a definite answer. The thermal conductivity will be proportional to the density of the material. The general sintered bronze material has a range of density from 6.0-7.4 g/cc the theoretical density for 90/10 bronze is 8.75g/cc. This mean that when not impregnated with oil the thermal conductivity will be in an exponential approaching the full density value based on density. Next because of the oil in the pores will conduct heat also this will need to be taken into account and the variables in the effective filling of the pores as well as the oil that is used. If you are looking for ballpark numbers I would put it at 80-85% the thermal conductivity of the wrought bronze material as standard oillite is an SAE841 (6.4-6.8 g/cc). I will look to see if there is any graphs that might have been developed in years past.

Register to reply