I want to get prepared for master at homehelp please

• Thread starter najat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master
In summary, most people replied that it will take about two years for a person with a BS in physics to complete a masters degree in the same field. They recommend studying a variety of courses and reading textbooks from a variety of disciplines in order to refresh your memory. Additionally, it is advised to be prepared to work hard.
najat
Hello, :smile:
I am a 37 years old with a BS in physics
I decided to go for a Masters degree in Physics since it only takes about two years , i know it looks late but i love physics even though i wasn't so good in BS,
and since i want to finish it good and fast i need someone to answer these tow questions please :
is it helpful to prepare my self at home by studying specific books or courses in physics and maths, or no need for that?
if i should to do that, what are those courses and books?
thanks a lot and have a great day

Physics news on Phys.org

You will have to re-study all the fundamental courses you had during your bachelor, e.g. electrodynamics, classical and quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics.
Refreshing on mathematics will be essential too.

Doing all of that at home can get annoying, hence you supplement your learning at some with the video lectures available online e.g. like those by Prof.Susskind (Stanford University) :
http://www.youtube.com/user/StanfordUniversity/videos?view=pl

thank you so much physiker_192 for the link that was so helpful

physiker_192 said:
Refreshing on mathematics will be essential too.

absolutely, it was my main obstacle i will spend more time on it :rolleyes: :)
thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

another question please::smile:

for a medium intelligent person but ready for hard work: how much time do you think it will take to get prepared?

thanks again and have a nice day

najat said:
another question please::smile:

for a medium intelligent person but ready for hard work: how much time do you think it will take to get prepared?

thanks again and have a nice day

It depends on how much you remember from your undergraduate days.

It might be beneficial to pick up Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas to refresh your mathematics.

Then you can try to go through typical upper level textbooks. Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems by Marion & Thornton, Electromagnetic Fields by Wangness, and Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar.

thanks a lot intwo and everyone replied :)...have a great life :smile:

What are the benefits of preparing for a master's program at home?

Preparing for a master's program at home offers several benefits, such as flexibility in scheduling, cost savings, and the ability to learn at your own pace. It also allows you to create a comfortable and personalized learning environment.

What are some effective ways to prepare for a master's program at home?

Some effective ways to prepare for a master's program at home include setting a study schedule, creating a designated study space, utilizing online resources, and seeking guidance from mentors or professionals in your field of study.

How can I stay motivated while preparing for a master's program at home?

Maintaining motivation while studying at home can be challenging. Some tips to stay motivated include setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, taking breaks when needed, and finding a study partner or accountability buddy.

What are some potential challenges of preparing for a master's program at home?

Preparing for a master's program at home may present some challenges, such as distractions from home life, lack of access to in-person resources or support, and difficulty staying disciplined and self-motivated. It's important to address these challenges and find solutions to overcome them.

How can I ensure I am fully prepared for a master's program at home?

To ensure you are fully prepared for a master's program at home, make sure to thoroughly research the program and its requirements, utilize all available resources, and consistently review and practice the material. It's also important to communicate with the program's faculty and advisors for any additional guidance or support.