How to factor a polynomial modulo p?

• Thread starter joebohr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
You can also use the Chinese remainder theorem to factorize a polynomial in a finite field thatIn summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker faces when trying to factorize mod p in Galois Theory and Number Theory. They ask for advice and resources and mention finding some helpful documents. They also mention using the small Fermat theorem and the Chinese remainder theorem to factorize polynomials in finite fields.
joebohr
I can understand most of Galois Theory and Number Theory dealing with factorization and extension fields, but I always run into problems that involve factorization mod p, which I can't seem to figure out how to do. I can't find any notes anywhere either, so I was wondering if someone could give me some steps. p is prime, of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any specific questions? For general reading material, you could try googling "factoring polynomials over finite fields".

morphism said:
Do you have any specific questions? For general reading material, you could try googling "factoring polynomials over finite fields".

I seem to have figured out how to factor mod p (in a prime field) between a couple documents:

"www.science.unitn.it/~degraaf/compalg/polfact.pdf"

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/Ant/AntChapter4.pdf

However, I'm still wondering what other types of finite fields it would be useful to factor over (am I correct in assuming that not all finite fields are prime fields?)

Last edited by a moderator:
You usually reduce the polynomial using the small Fermat theorem, xp [itex]\equiv[/itex] x (mod p) for every variable x that has a power greater than p-1

There are several methods for factoring a polynomial modulo p, also known as polynomial reduction modulo p. One approach is to use the fact that for any nonzero integer a, the polynomial f(x) is congruent to f(x+a) modulo p. This means that if we can find an a such that f(x+a) is a simpler polynomial to factor, then we can use this congruence to factor f(x).

Another method is to use the properties of modular arithmetic and the Chinese Remainder Theorem. This theorem states that if we can factor a polynomial modulo p into irreducible polynomials, then we can use these factors to factor the polynomial modulo any other prime number q. This approach involves finding the roots of the polynomial modulo p and then using these roots to construct the factors.

In some cases, it may also be helpful to use the concept of primitive roots. A primitive root of a prime number p is an integer g that generates all of the nonzero elements in the field modulo p. This means that every nonzero element in the field can be written as g^k for some integer k. With this knowledge, we can use the properties of primitive roots to find the roots of a polynomial modulo p and then use these roots to factor the polynomial.

Overall, factoring a polynomial modulo p can be a complex and challenging task, but with a solid understanding of Galois Theory and Number Theory, as well as the use of various techniques such as congruences, the Chinese Remainder Theorem, and primitive roots, it is possible to successfully factor polynomials modulo p. I suggest consulting textbooks or online resources for more detailed explanations and examples of these methods.

1. How do I know when a polynomial is factorable modulo p?

The polynomial can be factored modulo p if p is a prime number and the polynomial does not contain any repeated factors. This means that all of the coefficients in the polynomial must be relatively prime to p.

2. What is the process for factoring a polynomial modulo p?

The process involves finding the roots of the polynomial (if any) in the field of integers modulo p. These roots can then be used to factor the polynomial into linear factors. This process is similar to factoring a polynomial over the real numbers, but the operations are performed modulo p instead.

3. Can I use any factoring method for polynomials modulo p?

No, you cannot use traditional factoring methods such as the quadratic formula or completing the square. These methods rely on the properties of real numbers and do not apply to polynomials modulo p. Instead, you must use methods specific to modular arithmetic, such as the polynomial long division method.

4. Is there a way to check my answer when factoring a polynomial modulo p?

Yes, there are several ways to check your answer. One method is to simply multiply the factors back together and see if you get the original polynomial modulo p. Another method is to use a computer algebra system to verify the factors. Additionally, you can check that the factors are indeed irreducible by checking if they have any common factors with p.

5. Can I use factoring to solve equations modulo p?

Yes, factoring polynomials modulo p can be used to solve equations in the field of integers modulo p. By factoring both sides of the equation, you can reduce the problem to finding the roots of the polynomial, which can then be used to solve for the variable. This method is especially useful in cryptography and number theory.