Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
Share this thread:
turbo
Mar7-12, 05:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Feed the squirrels?
Not good. Uncooked instant rice can kill birds and small animals when it absorbs water from their bodies and blocks their GI tract.
alexg
Mar7-12, 06:17 PM
P: 126
Return it?
MarcoD
Mar7-12, 06:27 PM
P: 98
Rice art? Though I guess your daughters are too old for that.
drizzle
Mar7-12, 06:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Not good. Uncooked instant rice can kill birds and small animals when it absorbs water from their bodies and blocks their GI tract.
I didn't know that!! Thanks turbo.
Evo
Mar7-12, 06:33 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
Bury it?

I do have an old recipe for creole porkchops that uses instant rice and it's really delicious, but I have no pork chops.
turbo
Mar7-12, 06:35 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
I didn't know that!! Thanks turbo.
Instant rice absorbs water much more easily than conventional rice, and can quickly kill small critters.
alexg
Mar7-12, 06:38 PM
Cook it with chicken broth instead of water.

Then, once it's cooked, it should be safe for critters.
Evo
Mar7-12, 06:38 PM
Mentor
Instant rice absorbs water much more easily than conventional rice, and can quickly kill small critters.
But squirrels love corn flakes and rice krispies.
turbo
Mar7-12, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
But squirrels love corn flakes and rice krispies.
Yep, but those are low-density grain products. Feed those same critters high-density foods with a high affinity to water, and you'll kill some critters.
gmax137
Mar7-12, 06:56 PM
P: 855
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
... We just use Kraft Parmesan cheese for pasta...
My buddy calls it "shake cheese." For some reason that cracks me up.
lisab
Mar7-12, 07:18 PM
Mentor
P: 2,986
I've recently heard that's an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp
turbo
Mar7-12, 07:24 PM
PF Gold
There is a big difference between uncooked rice and uncooked instant rice that has been milled and processed to absorb water as rapidly as possible. I am quite willing to be proven wrong, but I really don't want to hurt birds and small animals.
Jimmy Snyder
Mar7-12, 07:35 PM
P: 2,179
It's not really pertinent, but I remember once when I ate too much spaghetti, followed by too much watermelon. It stretched out my belly somewhat painfully.
Evo
Mar7-12, 07:39 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
It's not really pertinent, but I remember once when I ate too much spaghetti, followed by too much watermelon. It stretched out my belly somewhat painfully.
Ouch.
netgypsy
Mar7-12, 09:32 PM
P: 239
I'll check on the rice thing further. There is a similar idea that beet pulp which is the remains of sugar beets after the sugar is removed, will do the same thing to horses. It does expand hugely when you add water to it but the vet sites tell you that it can be fed dry with no problems. Some horses are very very stupid about eating though and will choke on almost anything because they inhale huge quantities so one doesn't feed anything in large quantities to a strange horse. There is also the suggestion that you put large rocks in the food dish of a gulping type horse to slow them down. Obviously large enough so they don't eat them or break their teeth.

Alkaselzer will kill if eaten dry. My college roommate was in a hurry to get to class and had a headache and just swallowed an alkaselzer tablet, then drank some water. She said it was terrible - she could hardly breathe she was burping up so much gas. her doctor told her she could have ruptured her stomach. So this one is no joke or myth.
alexg
Mar8-12, 12:27 AM
Alkaselzer will kill if eaten dry. My college roommate was in a hurry to get to class and had a headache and just swallowed an alkaselzer tablet, then drank some water. She said it was terrible - she could hardly breathe she was burping up so much gas. her doctor told her she could have ruptured her stomach. So this one is no joke or myth.
I did that once when very, very drunk. I popped two in my mouth and tried to swallow them using a water fountain. They fizzed in my throat for a long, long time.
Borek
Mar10-12, 06:03 AM
Admin
P: 23,568
How to make guacamole:

Monique
Mar10-12, 02:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
I'll be trying the following chocolate cake tomorrow, which is basically chocolate with butter sin :) http://www.masterchef.com.au/bitter-...rry-coulis.htm I can't wait!

Register to reply