Center of Mass, Man, Woman, and Frictionless Ice

by PeachBanana
Tags: frictionless, mass, woman
Share this thread:
PeachBanana
Mar7-12, 08:42 AM
P: 191
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A 58 kg woman and an 78 kg man stand 8.00 m apart on frictionless ice. How far from the woman is their CM? 4.6 m

If each holds one end of a rope, and the man pulls on the rope so that he moves 2.6 m, how far from the woman will he be now? Use two significant figures in answer. 1.9 m

How far will the man have moved when he collides with the woman?

2. Relevant equations

mass man * Δx man = mass woman * -Δx woman

3. The attempt at a solution

This can't be right because it's too close to letter B's answer.

I'm assuming because the ice is frictionless that they'll just keep going until the hit each other.

(78 kg)(x) = -(58 kg)(4.6 m)

x = -3.42 m

8.00 m - 2.6 m - 3.42 m = 1.98 m
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Doc Al
Mar7-12, 09:11 AM
Mentor
P: 41,319
Think this way: When they finally hit each other, where will they both end up? How far from their starting points is that?
PeachBanana
Mar7-12, 03:30 PM
P: 191
DocAl:

The man starts 8.00 m apart from the woman and I knew he was 4.6 m from her CM. 8.00m - 4.6m = 3.4m

Thank you

Doc Al
Mar8-12, 07:14 AM
Mentor
P: 41,319
Center of Mass, Man, Woman, and Frictionless Ice

I'll rephrase: The man was initially 3.4 m from the center of mass, so when they collide he will have traveled 3.4 m.

Register to reply