Have this damnable thought ever slipped through your mind that...

by Alex_Sanders
Tags: damnable, mind, slipped
Alex_Sanders
Mar8-12, 07:48 AM
P: 80
your vote... might not count?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Andre
Mar8-12, 07:58 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
What!!! No count??

Jimmy Snyder
Mar8-12, 08:07 AM
P: 2,163
Do you mean vote doesn't count, or vote doesn't matter? Unless there is a glitch in the equipment, I expect the vote will count.

jim hardy
Mar8-12, 08:30 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,138

Have this damnable thought ever slipped through your mind that...

Surely you dont think there's any skullduggery afoot in today's political climate !
Jimmy Snyder
Mar8-12, 08:37 AM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
Surely you dont think there's any skullduggery afoot in today's political climate !
Such as?
alt
Mar8-12, 08:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 322
Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
Todays ? Psephologists who studied Athenian democracy discovered that the psephos (little pebble) was rorted on occasions, being quickly rub dyed during counting. Why would it be different now ?
Hobin
Mar8-12, 08:56 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by alt View Post
Todays ? Psephologists who studied Athenian democracy discovered that the psephos (little pebble) was rorted on occasions, being quickly rub dyed during counting. Why would it be different now ?
For starters, because we don't use pebbles.
TylerH
Mar8-12, 09:34 AM
P: 737
Quote Quote by Hobin View Post
For starters, because we don't use pebbles.
That doesn't mean your vote can't be changed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hursti_Hack
lisab
Mar8-12, 09:41 AM
Mentor
P: 2,914
Speaking of pebbles, I wonder how she's doing.
dlgoff
Mar8-12, 10:29 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Ivan Seeking
Mar8-12, 10:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Quote Quote by Alex_Sanders View Post
your vote... might not count?
Your vote counts as much as anyone else's. But voting was never enough. That's why we send money as well. However, since the SC decision legalizing super pacs, I have to wonder about the practical value of making donations now.
Andre
Mar8-12, 10:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
The other Pebbles is fine too.
256bits
Mar8-12, 03:58 PM
P: 1,260
Make your vote count.
Vote early. Aannd vote often.
( How original is that !)
SHISHKABOB
Mar8-12, 05:15 PM
P: 615
maybe voting in the presidential election feels a bit unsatisfactory when it comes to your impact on the outcome, but remember that there are elections on the state level and local level too! The guys who run for county commissioner, etc. can have a much bigger effect on your life, and you can have a much bigger effect on their elections. Relative to the presidential elections.
Hobin
Mar8-12, 05:26 PM
P: 194
Quote Quote by SHISHKABOB View Post
Relative to the presidential elections.
Perhaps I'm just a ridiculous idealist, but I'm much more concerned with what happens on a global level than what happens locally - at least politically speaking. Locally, I'm pretty sure I'll manage, so I might not even bother voting. Globally, there are a lot of thing I think could be improved, and that's why I vote.

(Fair disclaimer: I live in the Netherlands. I don't really know much about voting on state-level, though I would probably see this as more 'global' than 'local'.)
eggshell
Mar8-12, 05:38 PM
P: 6
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Your vote counts as much as anyone else's. But voting was never enough. That's why we send money as well. However, since the SC decision legalizing super pacs, I have to wonder about the practical value of making donations now.
in smaller states the vote of the individual counts for more because you must consider that your vote plays a much greater role in determining whether or not your candidate gets the electoral vote from your state; though electoral votes and population are proportional, in the matter of determining whether or not your candidate wins your particular state, your vote matters more in a smaller population.
Gokul43201
Mar8-12, 05:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Quote Quote by eggshell View Post
...in the matter of determining whether or not your candidate wins your particular state...
But that matter is not one that matters, is it (once you've multiplied by electoral votes from the state)?
SHISHKABOB
Mar8-12, 05:54 PM
P: 615
Quote Quote by Hobin View Post
Perhaps I'm just a ridiculous idealist, but I'm much more concerned with what happens on a global level than what happens locally - at least politically speaking. Locally, I'm pretty sure I'll manage, so I might not even bother voting. Globally, there are a lot of thing I think could be improved, and that's why I vote.

(Fair disclaimer: I live in the Netherlands. I don't really know much about voting on state-level, though I would probably see this as more 'global' than 'local'.)
Well, it's not that I'm not concerned about these national-scale issues, it's just that I am more connected to the issues near me. Perhaps it is not so in the Netherlands, but where I live (southeastern rural Pennsylvania, which is near Philadelphia) there is a biiiiig split in the ways people here would like things to be handled on the local scale. Things like public education in my area, or the way housing developments are taken care of, are things that people have vastly different opinions on in my "home town" and they also affect me quite a bit.

Register to reply