Register to reply

Linear Algebra: intersection of subspaces

Share this thread:
TheTangent
Mar7-12, 01:38 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I'm working on a problem that involves looking at the dimension of the intersection of two subspaces of a vector space.

2. Relevant equations
[itex]M \subset V [/itex]
[itex]N \subset V [/itex]
dim(M [itex]\cap[/itex] N)
[itex][\vec{v}]_{B_M}[/itex] is the coordinate representation of a vector v with respect to the basis for M

3. The attempt at a solution
I reformulated M [itex]\cap[/itex] N in a bunch of different ways that would be too long to copy down here, but I finally came to this (which may or may not be useful to me in my larger problem but I'm wondering if it is valid itself):

[itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is itself, so it must have the same dimension in both M and N, and since the bases are ordered, for each [itex]\vec{b}_{Mi}[/itex] in [itex]B_M[/itex] for which the corresponding scalar is not zero in the linear combination of elements of [itex]B_M[/itex] equal to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], and each [itex]\vec{b}_{Nj}[/itex] in [itex]B_N[/itex] for which the corresponding scalar is not zero in the linear combination of elements of [itex]B_N[/itex] equal to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], if i=j then [itex]\vec{b}_{Mi}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}_{Nj}[/itex] are dependent

and [itex][\vec{v}]_{B_M}[/itex] has zeros in the same places as [itex][\vec{v}]_{B_N}[/itex]

but there is a major problem here with the fact that we may have dimM ≠ dimN
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
sunjin09
Mar7-12, 04:07 PM
P: 312
first imaging a basis for the intersection {b1,b2,...,bp}, then expand it to a basis of M, {b1,b2,...,bp,m1,m2,...,mq},
also expand it to a basis for N, {b1,...,bp,n1,n2,...,nr}, dimension of the intersection is p, dim(M)=p+q, dim(N)=p+r.
TheTangent
Mar8-12, 12:34 PM
P: 4
beautiful

Register to reply