Register to reply

Definition of the derivative to find the derivative of x^(1/3)

by Martinc31415
Tags: definition, derivative, x1 or 3
Share this thread:
Martinc31415
Mar8-12, 11:09 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the definition of the derivative to find the derivative of x^(1/3)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[(x+h)^(1/3) - x^(1/3)]/h

I do not know where to go from here. If it were a square root I could conjugate.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
SammyS
Mar8-12, 11:26 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,808
Quote Quote by Martinc31415 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the definition of the derivative to find the derivative of x^(1/3)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[(x+h)^(1/3) - x^(1/3)]/h

I do not know where to go from here. If it were a square root I could conjugate.
Hello Martinc31415. Welcome ton PF !

The difference of cubes can be factored, [itex]a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)\,.[/itex]

So, suppose you have the difference of cube roots, [itex]\displaystyle P^{1/3}-Q^{1/3}[/itex]. In this case, [itex]\displaystyle P^{1/3} = a\,\ \text{ and }\ Q^{1/3} = b\,.[/itex]

Multiplying [itex]\displaystyle \left(P^{1/3}-Q^{1/3}\right)[/itex] by [itex]\displaystyle \left(P^{2/3}+P^{1/3}Q^{1/3}+Q^{2/3}\right)[/itex] will give [itex]\displaystyle \left(P^{1/3}\right)^3-\left(Q^{1/3}\right)^3=P-Q\,.[/itex]

Thus, [itex]\displaystyle \left(P^{2/3}+P^{1/3}Q^{1/3}+Q^{2/3}\right)[/itex] acts as the "conjugate" for [itex]\displaystyle \left(P^{1/3}-Q^{1/3}\right)\,.[/itex]
Martinc31415
Mar8-12, 01:42 PM
P: 2
oohh...

I would not have thought of that, ever!

Thanks a ton.

Register to reply