Algorithm Complexity: Sorted Arrays into Sorted Array

by sodiumbromate
Tags: algorithm, array, arrays, complexity, sorted
sodiumbromate
Mar8-12, 02:40 AM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have k >= 1 sorted arrays, each one containing n >= 1 elements (all equal length). We want to combine all of them in to a single sorted array with kn elements.
We have a "naive" algorithm: merge the first two arrays, then merge the third array into the result, then merge the fourth array into the result, and so on.
What's the complexity of the naive algorithm, as a function of k and n?

2. The attempt at a solution

Assuming k > 1. When comparing first two arrays, worst-case requires (n log n) comparisons.
Adding a third array to the resulting array has a worst-case of (2n log 2n) comparisons.
Similarly, adding a fourth has (3n log 3n) comparisons. This suggests a general worst-case equation for the algorithm: (k-1)n log (k-1)n

I don't think this is right... the next part of the question asks us to talk about a less expensive implementation, but (k-1)n log(k-1)n is already in big theta of n log n, which is plenty efficient.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
rcgldr
Mar8-12, 04:00 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,929
You could try some simple cases and count the number of operations. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a complexity factor for "comparing" versus "copying" data. As an example of a simple case, here are two sets of integers to be merged:

{1, 2, 5, 8, 9} and {3, 4, 6, 7, 10}

What would the complexity be if each set only had 4 integers instead 5? What if each set only had 3 integers instead of 5?
sodiumbromate
Mar8-12, 11:53 AM
Well, merging will happen k-1 times. So the merging complexity would be (k-1)n? Which is in big theta of n? (The merging part of mergesort is linear, not logarithmic, my bad).

Max.Planck
Mar8-12, 12:17 PM
P: 127

Algorithm Complexity: Sorted Arrays into Sorted Array

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...to+k+%28i*n%29

Reason:
The first merge will take O(n+n) operations (go through both lists once). The second merge
will take (2*n + n = 3n) operations (since you will have to go through the long list and once through the 3rd list. This results in an O(k^2*n) complexity.
rcgldr
Mar8-12, 12:23 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by sodiumbromate View Post
Well, merging will happen k-1 times. So the merging complexity would be (k-1)n? Which is in big theta of n?
Is this the optimized version or the naive version? In the optimized version where k arrays are merged into an output array, all k n elements are copied to the output array, but you're doing multiple compares for every element copied to the output array. If this is the naive version, you copy n+n data the first time, then 2n + n data the second time, ..., and I assume you're supposed to figure out the number of compares.

I don't know how copies and compares are factored into complexity or big theta.
Max.Planck
Mar8-12, 01:06 PM
Quote Quote by rcgldr View Post
It doesn't matter, we don't care about constants in asymptotic notation.
sodiumbromate
Mar8-12, 02:35 PM
Quote Quote by Max.Planck View Post
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...to+k+%28i*n%29

Reason:
The first merge will take O(n+n) operations (go through both lists once). The second merge
will take (2*n + n = 3n) operations (since you will have to go through the long list and once through the 3rd list. This results in an O(k^2*n) complexity.
Where do you get k^2 from? Don't fully follow.
sodiumbromate
Mar8-12, 04:38 PM
Shouldn't it just be kn? That's what the pattern seems to suggest.
Max.Planck
Mar8-12, 04:54 PM
Quote Quote by sodiumbromate View Post
Where do you get k^2 from? Don't fully follow.
Easy:

[tex] \sum_{i=2}^k in = n\sum_{i=2}^k i = n\frac{k^2+k-2}{2} \in O(k^2*n)[/tex]
rcgldr
Mar8-12, 05:25 PM
HW Helper
It doesn't matter, we don't care about constants in asymptotic notation.
OK, but in one type of optimized case, there are k n copies done and in the worst case, (k) (k-1) n = (k2 - k) n compares done, how do you balance the copies versus compares for O(...) in this case?
Max.Planck
Mar8-12, 06:00 PM
OK, but in one type of optimized case, there are k n copies done and in the worst case, (k) (k-1) n = (k2 - k) n compares done, how do you balance the copies versus compares for O(...) in this case?
How did you get these numbers?

Merging two lists of size n takes at most 2*n-1 comparisons. In the first round you do
this for k/2 lists.
rcgldr
Mar8-12, 09:12 PM
HW Helper
How did you get these numbers?
By merging k lists at the same time (one type of optimized case), k n elements copied, k-1 compares (worst case) for each element copied. This would be one of the "less expensive" implementations mentioned at the end of the original post.
Max.Planck
Mar9-12, 05:06 AM
You can also merge them in the same way merge sort does, that will give you something like O(log(k)*k*n) worst case.

Register to reply