Register to reply

Electric field inside a void in a conductor?

by Hassan2
Tags: conductor, electric, field, inside, void
Share this thread:
Hassan2
Mar8-12, 07:34 PM
P: 409
Hi everyone,

The field inside a conductor and also inside any voids in a said to be zero. I'm convinced with the available proofs for the field inside a conductor. However, I am not aware of any solid proof for the field inside a void in a conductor. Would you please share your knowledge on this topic?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
What is Nothing?
How computing is transforming materials science research
kmarinas86
Mar8-12, 07:43 PM
P: 1,011
Quote Quote by Hassan2 View Post
Hi everyone,

The field inside a conductor and also inside any voids in a said to be zero. I'm convinced with the available proofs for the field inside a conductor. However, I am not aware of any solid proof for the field inside a void in a conductor. Would you please share your knowledge on this topic?

Thanks.
There's no such thing as an unconditionally perfect conductor. The zero field assumption is only approximate. It will be even more suspect when science furthers develops nanotechnology, rendering these approximations as a quaint symbol of the time when people didn't need to care about it.
cragar
Mar8-12, 11:09 PM
P: 2,466
If I have a spherical shell with plus q charge on it, the E field is zero inside because there is no enclosed charge so it is zero by Gauss's Law.
no perfect conductors, what about superconductors?

Hassan2
Mar8-12, 11:49 PM
P: 409
Electric field inside a void in a conductor?

Quote Quote by cragar View Post
If I have a spherical shell with plus q charge on it, the E field is zero inside because there is no enclosed charge so it is zero by Gauss's Law.
no perfect conductors, what about superconductors?
That's based on the symmetry of the shell. For an arbitrary geometry we need another approach.

Register to reply