Register to reply

Large early release frequency LERF

by matt222
Tags: early, frequency, lerf, release
Share this thread:
matt222
Mar9-12, 05:30 AM
P: 132
I would like to ask you about large early release frequency LERF from the study of PSA how to calculate it? Its based on the amount and types of radio active being released to the atmoshpere from the reactor core accident, but is there any simple way I mean any factor to simply convert the core damage frequency into LERF or anything related to it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
NUCENG
Mar10-12, 03:16 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 916
Quote Quote by matt222 View Post
I would like to ask you about large early release frequency LERF from the study of PSA how to calculate it? Its based on the amount and types of radio active being released to the atmoshpere from the reactor core accident, but is there any simple way I mean any factor to simply convert the core damage frequency into LERF or anything related to it.
See:
http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML0323/ML032330225.pdf

The whole idea behind risk analysis is to consider both the risk and magnitude of consequences of a specific event or accident. A core damage event without significant containment failure or bypass will have low probability of prompt or latent health effects (think TMI2). At Chernobyl the core damage without a containment structure had significant prompt fatalities and latent health effects due to releases before evacuation. At Fukushima the containments lasted long enough for evacualtions and shelltering to prevent prompt health effects - even for plant workers. Latent effects may still emerge, but time will tell.

Considering those three cases, it is pretty clear that there is no simple relationship between CDF and LERF.

Register to reply