Register to reply

Dielectric effect on induced electric field.

by BMPaul
Tags: dielectric, effect, electric, field, induced
Share this thread:
BMPaul
Mar13-12, 07:03 AM
P: 2
Hi everyone,

From what I understand if you had a time varying magnetic field inside a dielectric it will induce a time varying electric field according to Faraday's Law:

[tex]\nabla\times\mathbf{E}=-\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]

My question is will the dipoles in the dielectric then polarize to the induced electric field reducing the net electric field in the dielectric (assume the dielectric to be homogeneous linear isotropic dielectric) so that the net electric field is now [tex] \varepsilon _{r} [/tex] time less than if the same thing happened in free space.

Thanks.

PS. this is my first post so tell me if I am doing something wrong or am being vague in what I am asking.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
BMPaul
Mar13-12, 07:18 AM
P: 2
Sorry don't know why I'm getting the maths error. The first equation is Faraday law and the second is the relative permittivity

Register to reply