Electronic partition function for molecule with degeneracies

by wiveykid
Tags: degeneracies, electronic, function, molecule, partition
wiveykid
Mar12-12, 02:46 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A atom had a threefold degenerate ground level, a non degenerate electronically excited level at 3500 cm^-1(setting the energy orgin as the ground electronic state energy of the atom ) and a threefold degenerate level at 4700 cm^-1 . Calculate the electronic partition function of this atom at 2000K

2. Relevant equations

qel= sumnation{i=0inf}[gel*exp[-(Ei-Ei-1)/(kbT)]]

3. The attempt at a solution

I see three levels in the problem
I believe, given the problem statement, that g0=3, g1=1 @3500cm-1, g2=3@4700cm-1

I came up with the equation
qel= 3+ 1*exp[-(E1-E0)/(kbT)] + 3*exp[-(E2-E1)/(kbT)]

T= 2000K, kb= boltzmann constant ~1.38e-23

I am having trouble finding the energy values for each excited state. I am not sure if E=hv applies to this problem.

Also I am not too confident in the equation I found.

If anyone understands degeneracy, electronic partition functions or excited electronic stateI would greatly appreciate any help
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
turin
Mar12-12, 10:44 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
I would assume that you just use
E = h f
= h c / lambda
= hbar c k
, no? (I'm assuming that the inverse lengths that the problem specifies are wavenumbers of photons that would be emitted from the corresponding energy differences.)
wiveykid
Mar13-12, 12:12 PM
P: 3
yes I guess I can just multiply those numbers by c to get the excited state energies. Doing this it seems that all the exponentials go to zero because kbT is so small and c is so large. I guess the electronic partition function ends up being equal to 3

Redbelly98
Mar13-12, 08:16 PM
Mentor
P: 11,986

Electronic partition function for molecule with degeneracies

Quote Quote by wiveykid View Post
yes I guess I can just multiply those numbers by c to get the excited state energies. Doing this it seems that all the exponentials go to zero because kbT is so small and c is so large. I guess the electronic partition function ends up being equal to 3
There is more to the calculation than just kBT and c. Try calculating the value of [itex]\frac{\Delta E}{k_B T}[/itex] for the two excited states.

Quote Quote by wiveykid View Post
I came up with the equation
qel= 3+ 1*exp[-(E1-E0)/(kbT)] + 3*exp[-(E2-E1)/(kbT)]
That's pretty much correct, except that it is E2-E0 in the final term.

I am having trouble finding the energy values for each excited state. I am not sure if E=hv applies to this problem.
Yes, it does.

Register to reply