Register to reply

Uh... I need a runway, really... let me explain...

by rhody
Tags: bmw 1000rr
Share this thread:
netgypsy
Jan30-12, 02:14 PM
P: 239
I have an '85 and '86 Honda Magna 700's (shaft driven) . The engine on the '85 had some problems so we repaired it. These are supposed to be identical bikes again other than some modification of the exhaust on the '85 - I think the owner just stuck a piece of re-bar down it - but since we did the repair that bike is so torquey it's plain scary. Twice I almost put myself into the passenger seat by accident. We did nothing to modify the bike. Weird. But I love the handling.

I was told by a Honda mechanic that this bike has a problem with inadequate lubrication unless you let it idle for about 5 minutes before you rev it up. Don't know if that's true or not but the one with the engine damage did not have a lot of mileage and wasn't abused so who knows.
turbo
Jan30-12, 02:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by netgypsy View Post
I was told by a Honda mechanic that this bike has a problem with inadequate lubrication unless you let it idle for about 5 minutes before you rev it up. Don't know if that's true or not but the one with the engine damage did not have a lot of mileage and wasn't abused so who knows.
A neighbor's kid ruined his by revving it right after starting it up, over and over again. Until you have adequate oil pressure, it's just stupid to stress them. Same with Harleys, though. The best mechanics say that if you can put your hand on the jugs without burning them, don't take off. In the case of my old Wide-Glide, I'd warm it up and run it gently for at least 20 minutes before getting onto the throttle. Those aluminum Evo engines needed to swell from the heat to avoid blowing head gaskets and base gaskets.
KrisOhn
Jan30-12, 10:04 PM
P: 271
Yeah, V65's (at least) do have some issues with lubrication, but as long as you let the engine warm up past the blue section on the temperature gauge before you head anywhere and don't put the hammer down until you've got a couple miles on, it should be okay. In some of the colder mornings it can take as long as 10 minutes warm up by idle, which can actually be worse for the engine since the oil pump may not supply an adequate amount of oil to all areas (cams, etc.) when merely idling. To circumvent this I let it idle for about 5 minutes then ride easy, revving around 2k RPM, until its warmed up.
KrisOhn
Jan30-12, 10:09 PM
Quote Quote by netgypsy View Post
that bike is so torquey it's plain scary. Twice I almost put myself into the passenger seat by accident.
Haha, its a similar story with the V65. On one occasion I was ripping around with a friend, came out of second at about 9k RPM and nearly opened it up fully in third, I could feel the front tire starting to lift so I decided to back off. I bought this bike off my brother and I've heard from him and a couple other people that you can spin the rear tire in third and fourth gear, I believe it.
turbo
Jan30-12, 10:30 PM
PF Gold
When I bought my first Harley, I was test-driving one (Fat-Bob Superglide), and the owner of the dealership came along with me, and cut me off as we were exiting the lot of a a lumber-yard where we had turned around to head back to the shop. I don't know what that bone-head was thinking! I laid that bike hard on the left side and gave it all the throttle that it had to get it righted. Luckily for him and his insurance company, I was used to riding Japanese bikes and had the revs up, or he would have had a "slider" on his hands. He looked over at me when I was righting that bike, and his eyes were as big as fried eggs. When we got back to the shop, he was shaking worse than I was.
netgypsy
Jan30-12, 10:46 PM
P: 239
Quote Quote by KrisOhn View Post
Haha, its a similar story with the V65. On one occasion I was ripping around with a friend, came out of second at about 9k RPM and nearly opened it up fully in third, I could feel the front tire starting to lift so I decided to back off. I bought this bike off my brother and I've heard from him and a couple other people that you can spin the rear tire in third and fourth gear, I believe it.
And I had no idea it was such a screamer. I bought it because it was smooth, quiet, handled great, had enough oomph to get out of the way of idiot drivers and got better gas mileage than my truck. I know the newer Harley's are nice bikes but a friend's magna just puked and it was too pricey to fix so he got a smaller Harley. He's been at the chiropractor five times and is looking for another Honda. Can't afford a smooth Harley.
rhody
Feb6-12, 10:26 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
I had a first yesterday, lets set the stage first. The day before I had the 600cc Kawasaki out, practicing being smooth, brakes, shift, gas, you get the idea. Trying to get used to the foot peg position, lower handlebars, control feel. More than that trying to measure feedback from inputs to said controls. It was fun, and a bit chilly. Returned home relaxed.

Fast forward to yesterday, was warming the monster up, had the heated gloves in preheat, then as I was slipping them on, a sudden rush, like the one you get when you twist the throttle gently in 2nd gear accelerating smoothly but quickly from 50 - 100 in about 3 seconds.

I have always approached each thing I do with either bike, a step at a time, slowly, without hurrying things. With the mental image I just described in the second paragraph I headed out to the bike shop about fifteen miles away, some super slab, in fine but chilly weather, no wind, light traffic. I was feeling relaxed and focused, so I downshifted from 3rd to second gear at about 65 mph and rolled the throttle (no traffic around) and was rewarded with a nice three second wheelie, front wheel dead straight about 6 - 12 inches off the pavement, dead, smooth, similar to this one by Nate Kern, (00:11 - 00:14) at about 2000 rpm less than his. Very nice. Next up is the same scenario, but I will hook 3rd gear and see if I can ride it another for another few seconds under acceleration. Like I said, one step at a time.

Rhody...
rhody
Feb14-12, 08:08 PM
PF Gold
Ok Turbo, I know you love the sound of that thunderous Vtwin modded Harley motor, but you have to admit, this is a pretty decent recording (except for buzzing at beginning, I am working on that),
you get a decent idea of the wind buffeting. The recorder was taped to the top of the gas tank.

I plan to record one similar to this but will do it with the front wheel floating a bit off the ground in 1st and 2nd gear, nice smooth flat deserted road. See if you can tell the difference, however slight, when I post the second one.
There is no clutch shifting the quick shifter does away with that, cuts out the engine for about 10 milliseconds and presto, you are at full power in the next gear.

Rhodster...
rhody
Feb16-12, 08:02 PM
PF Gold
I added the Kawasaki to the mix, added introduction and captions to explain the shenanigans.

BMW and Kawi through first three gears

Rhody... meep... meep...
rhody
Feb26-12, 12:00 PM
PF Gold
These guys really haul ... Fun watching them.

Qualifying Session - Phillip Island 2012

Rhody...
KrisOhn
Feb28-12, 04:51 PM
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
These guys really haul ... Fun watching them.
Oh wow, they really ride to their bikes limits. That's pretty amazing.
turbo
Feb28-12, 07:43 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by KrisOhn View Post
Oh wow, they really ride to their bikes limits. That's pretty amazing.
Past their own limits, it seems. Just my opinion, but some of those riders need rehabilitative training. If you don't know whether you can toss your bike into a curve at 150mph and not end up off the track, that is the sign of a newby. Real riders will constantly evaluate road-condition, tire-condition, etc, and adjust if they are going to push limits.
rhody
Mar7-12, 08:27 PM
PF Gold
I am getting to know the beast on an intimate level if that is possible. Last ride on her in cold temps, 30's Fahrenheit, I noticed what felt like rear end slip and front end push. I instinctively knew what it was, and a test with cold tires and a gauge proved it, the rear tire was down 4 psi from recommended pressure and the front 2 psi. I will test it again this weekend with the proper pressure. You can really feel the difference with that little difference pressure in the tires, they are that sensitive on a sport bike.

Rhody...
rhody
Mar10-12, 10:22 AM
PF Gold
Quick shifting and power management, throttle, clutch control go hand in hand so, have a look at BradMan's good instruction
on power-up and clutched wheelies. Good instruction, advice and IMHO.

Rhody...
KrisOhn
Mar12-12, 11:55 PM
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Quick shifting and power management, throttle, clutch control go hand in hand so, have a look at BradMan's good instruction
on power-up and clutched wheelies. Good instruction, advice and IMHO.
Rhody...
Even if I buy a sport bike in the future, I don't think I will ever attempt a wheelie on it. I'm content with having my dirtbike do stuff like that for me.
rhody
Mar14-12, 05:21 PM
PF Gold
First MAJOR problem with the beast, rolled to a stop light in 3rd gear, clutch in, tapped to go to first, nothing, the gear dogs not engaging, to make a long story short, after adjusting the chain and careful examination of the shift linkage, nothing is out of alignment, loose, etc... Adjusted the clutch to make sure it was fully disengaged, same result, intermittent downshifting, 4th - 2nd gear, came out of the blue as well, no signs, missed shifts, nothing. The other bike is in the shop as well, and when that one is done this one goes in. Good thing I can live with 3rd - 6th gears, the bike takes off effortlessly in 3rd. Amazing really. I am going to post this on the BMW Forum to see if any others have had this problem.

Rhody...
rhody
Mar20-12, 06:13 PM
PF Gold
The problem turned out to be a round knuckle joint at the top of the Sato Rearset was binding, causing the problem, I could see the knuckle cocked a bit askew and suspected it, turns out it was frozen, once it was taken apart and lubed no problem. Something as small as that binding at the wrong moment can mean the difference between making a corner and too much corner speed which is very bad. If you can't downshift, expecting the engine braking to help you slow down, it screws up the mental maps in your head, between front and rear brake and blipping the throttle and the engine braking that happens, all three factors contribute to slowing smoothly, the way you have come to expect, when something goes wrong and you can't down shift one or more gears to make a corner, you enter too hot and that can cause a low side crash or running wide into whatever is on the outside of the corner. I am glad the problem is fixed and will pay attention and lube the knuckle a couple times a year.

Rhody...
rhody
Mar31-12, 08:36 PM
PF Gold
Nice video... Best of 2011: Slow Motion

Like the lookback at 3:42...

Rhody...

Register to reply