How do you power the rail in an old school carnival dark ride?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a dark ride/ghost train/pretzel ride in a 1000 sq ft area using an onboard DC motor to power the cars. The track will have a dead area for loading and unloading. Questions are raised about the necessary voltage, rectifiers/transformers, safety codes, and whether an average electrician would know how to hook it up. The suggestion is made to adapt commercial golf carts and comply with safety codes for an easier and safer option.
hilltopzombie
I am pretty good with mechanical stuff like motors and guns, but I know next to nothing when it comes to electricity.

I want to build a dark ride/ghost train/pretzel ride in an area about 1000 sq ft. I want to keep it as simple as possible. The track will wind around through this area. The cars will be powered by an onboard dc motor. There needs to be a dead area of track where the cars will come to a stop for loading and unloading. Once I'm seated, the car can be shoved forward onto the live rail and start propelling itself.

How much voltage AC would be needed. How many rectifiers/transformers would be needed to connect the power to the track? What size? Who sells them? If the brush from the motor rubs against the live rail, where does the ground go? Would your average electrician know how to hook this up?

Please have mercy on my ignorance.

Thanks-

Engineering news on Phys.org
None of us are expert at everything. However, before designing electrical things that might have safety problems, a fair amount of knowledge and experience is necessary. Part of the knowledge has to do with the numerous safety codes such a ride must comply with.

I suggest that the easiest and safest way for you to proceed, is to adapt commercial golf carts to the purpose. Even then, you must find out the applicable safety codes and comply with them.

Good luck,

1. How is the rail in a dark ride powered?

The rail in a dark ride is typically powered by an electric motor that is connected to the track. The motor spins a drive wheel that is in contact with the track, providing the necessary propulsion to move the ride vehicles along the track.

2. Are there any alternative ways to power the rail in a dark ride?

Yes, there are some alternative methods for powering the rail in a dark ride. One option is to use a hydraulic system, where pressurized fluid is used to move the ride vehicles along the track. Another option is to use a magnetic system, where magnets on the track and ride vehicles interact to create movement.

3. How do you control the speed of the rail in a dark ride?

The speed of the rail in a dark ride is typically controlled by adjusting the voltage or current going to the electric motor. This can be done manually by a ride operator or automatically through a computerized control system.

4. How is the power source for the rail in a dark ride maintained?

The power source for the rail in a dark ride is typically a generator or battery that is located on the ride itself. These power sources are regularly maintained and replaced as needed to ensure the ride operates smoothly and safely.

5. How do you ensure the safety of the power source and rail in a dark ride?

The safety of the power source and rail in a dark ride is ensured through regular maintenance and inspections. In addition, safety features such as emergency shut-off switches and backup power sources are in place to prevent accidents and ensure the ride can operate safely in case of a power failure.