Scandalous reverence breach by HRH Mette-Marit

by arildno
Tags: breach, mettemarit, reverence, scandalous
Share this thread:
nobahar
Mar25-12, 10:33 AM
P: 503
Quote Quote by Hobin View Post
I'm not quite sure whether this thread is meant as a joke or not... Royalty? In 2012?
What makes royalty acceptable/unacceptable and when did this change? 1854?

Quote Quote by arildno View Post
No, that ugly British cow-witch should have fled in shame when beholding the resplendent beauty&regality of our Crown Princess!
We have the hottest princess: Princess Catherine. Nuff said.
Jimmy Snyder
Mar25-12, 10:55 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by nobahar View Post
what makes royalty acceptable/unacceptable and when did this change? 1854?
SW VandeCarr
Mar25-12, 11:11 AM
P: 2,499
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Actually Congress offered George Washington a crown, but he refused it and stepped down after two terms as president although he wasn't required to do so.

EDIT: Sorry, The crown part is apparently a myth. However Washington was not constitutionally limited to two terms. America's only king was Elvis l.
nobahar
Mar25-12, 02:00 PM
P: 503
You mean wealthy elites ruling in their own interest? Same thing, different name, isn't it?

Edit: SW VandeCarr: I believe they did entertain the idea of a royal family.
Jimmy Snyder
Mar25-12, 02:30 PM
Quote Quote by nobahar View Post
You mean wealthy elites ruling in their own interest? Same thing, different name, isn't it?
No, it's a different thing.
arildno
Mar25-12, 02:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
No, it's a different thing.
Yeah, some are just filthy mnoey-grubbers, others are divinely ordained to care for the realm and its many subjects.
Jimmy Snyder
Mar25-12, 02:55 PM
Quote Quote by arildno View Post
Yeah, some are just filthy mnoey-grubbers, others are divinely ordained to care for the realm and its many subjects.
Similarities don't add up to same.
SW VandeCarr
Mar25-12, 03:50 PM
Similarities don't add up to same.
In fact the European monarchies that still exist have no real political power and could be deposed at any time by their elected parliaments. However, at least in the UK, the landed aristocracy does control a lot of wealth. The Duke of Kensington is one the world's richest people and collects rent on prime land in central London which he owns. At least Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs and others did something to earn their wealth. Westminster could destroy the Royal Family and the peerage (as such) through taxation and other legal means if the political will to do so existed. The fact is, European monarchies exist because the citizens of their respective countries want them to exist and are willing to pay for it.
arildno
Mar25-12, 04:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
The fact is, European monarchies exist because the citizens of their respective countries want them to exist and are willing to pay for it.
The Norwegian royal family consistently has about 80% of the population in support of continued monarchy.
Slightly less than 60% of Norwegians eligible for voting in 1905, voted for monarchy, rather than republic.

So, our royalty has immense democratic support.
SW VandeCarr
Mar26-12, 07:16 PM
I'm not quite sure whether this thread is meant as a joke or not... Royalty? In 2012?
Yes, royalty in 2012. According to your public profile, you live in The Netherlands. Ever heard of Queen Beatrix?
lisab
Mar27-12, 06:38 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Actually Congress offered George Washington a crown, but he refused it and stepped down after two terms as president although he wasn't required to do so.

EDIT: Sorry, The crown part is apparently a myth. However Washington was not constitutionally limited to two terms. America's only king was Elvis l.
Bah, I'm gonna believe it anyway!

Thank you, George. You rock. Better than Elvis, even.

SW VandeCarr
Mar27-12, 07:32 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Bah, I'm gonna believe it anyway!

Thank you, George. You rock. Better than Elvis, even.
Better than Elvis!? Anyway, I think there was talk about crowning George, but it never got to the point where Congress formally offered him a crown. I think George put a stop to such talk.

EDIT: I'm still waiting to hear if Hobin knows The Netherlands has a reigning Queen. I know the royals keep a lower profile in The Netherlands than in the UK, but c'mon.
arildno
Mar28-12, 11:37 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
I believe Queen Beatrix to the Dutch is like the family shame over an idiot child one hides away somewhere, and does not speak of in polite company.
Hobin
Mar28-12, 11:55 AM
P: 194
EDIT: I'm still waiting to hear if Hobin knows The Netherlands has a reigning Queen. I know the royals keep a lower profile in The Netherlands than in the UK, but c'mon.
Who?

No, seriously, of course I do. I don't live under a rock. I assumed people would take my comment as "talking about all those arbitrary protocols of royalty as if it's something to take seriously? In 2012?" Apparently, you didn't.

Quote Quote by arildno
I believe Queen Beatrix to the Dutch is like the family shame over an idiot child one hides away somewhere, and does not speak of in polite company.
I have no idea where you get that idea. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having a queen or a king, that's true, but most people in the Netherlands don't agree with me. Beatrix is - as far as I'm aware - popular among the public.
arildno
Mar28-12, 12:51 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold

I have no idea where you get that idea. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having a queen or a king, that's true, but most people in the Netherlands don't agree with me. Beatrix is - as far as I'm aware - popular among the public.
In that case, most Dutch are lacking in taste.
Jack21222
Mar29-12, 12:37 PM
P: 772
Don't you people have anything better to do than fret over how one person you don't know greeted another person you don't know?
epenguin
Mar29-12, 01:30 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,965
On the other hand a month or so ago there was a meeting not of two but of all the Presidents of all the European Republics (except the monarchical one, France). A glittering array of grey suits. You hadn't heard of it? I wonder why.

Register to reply