Register to reply

The class indexed by real numbers is a set?

by julypraise
Tags: class, indexed, numbers, real
Share this thread:
julypraise
Mar29-12, 07:02 PM
P: 110
Let [itex]\mathcal{S} = \{S_{i}:i \in \mathbb{R} \} [/itex] where [itex]S_{i}[/itex] is a set. Then [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] is a set? Or, can this notation make sense in some way?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
DonAntonio
Mar30-12, 10:18 AM
P: 606
Quote Quote by julypraise View Post
Let [itex]\mathcal{S} = \{S_{i}:i \in \mathbb{R} \} [/itex] where [itex]S_{i}[/itex] is a set. Then [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] is a set? Or, can this notation make sense in some way?

I can't see why you think S couldn't be a set, as long as each [itex] S_i[/itex] is...What did you have in mind?

DonAntonio
Whovian
Mar30-12, 10:20 AM
P: 642
A set can be of anything. Even {Lincoln, Charizard, {Fish Fingers, Custard}} is a set. Your set is, therefore, valid. Note that its cardinality is one of the alephs, I don't know which one.

Hurkyl
Mar30-12, 10:48 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
The class indexed by real numbers is a set?

Because the [itex]S_i[/itex] are sets, this is valid set builder notation defining a class [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex]. And by the axiom of replacement and the fact [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is a set, the class [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] is indeed a set.

Quote Quote by Whovian View Post
A set can be of anything. Even {Lincoln, Charizard, {Fish Fingers, Custard}} is a set. Your set is, therefore, valid. Note that its cardinality is one of the alephs, I don't know which one.
Not anything. There isn't, for example, a set of all sets that don't contain themselves!
Whovian
Mar30-12, 10:53 AM
P: 642
Quote Quote by Hurkyl View Post
Not anything. There isn't, for example, a set of all sets that don't contain themselves!
True. Sorry for poor wording. "Almost anything" would've been a better wording.
SteveL27
Mar30-12, 11:06 AM
P: 800
That's a perfectly valid set. But note that by convention, indexing by [itex]i[/itex] typically indicates indexing over the natural numbers. For clarity, it would be better to write

[itex]\mathcal{S} = \{S_{\alpha}:\alpha \in \mathbb{R} \} [/itex]

which provides readers with an indication that we are indexing over a set other than the natural numbers.
julypraise
Mar30-12, 08:39 PM
P: 110
Quote Quote by DonAntonio View Post
I can't see why you think S couldn't be a set, as long as each [itex] S_i[/itex] is...What did you have in mind?

DonAntonio
You know, the concept of indexing in my mind (in my intuition) is kind of a countable process. But then now the index set is a continuum. So I thought it might not be possible; I mean this kind of indexing might not be possible by ZFC.
DonAntonio
Mar30-12, 10:42 PM
P: 606
You know, the concept of indexing in my mind (in my intuition) is kind of a countable process. But then now the index set is a continuum. So I thought it might not be possible; I mean this kind of indexing might not be possible by ZFC.

I see. But, as already noted by others, it is possible to index by means of any set, no matter its cardinality.

In ZFC we can even use Zermelo's Well Ordering Theorem to well order ℝ and then well-order the so indexed sets, if so wanted...

DonAntonio

Register to reply