by mercrave
Tags: analysis, mathematical, sequences
Share this thread:
mercrave
Apr4-12, 02:11 AM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is:
Show that an [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] iff for all [itex]\Delta[/itex] > 0, [itex]\exists[/itex]N such that n [itex]\geq[/itex] N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] an [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Not sure if there are any

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't really think of anything to do here because I have absolutely no clue what [itex]\Delta[/itex] is meant to be- my only guess was the difference between the sequences an and aN... and I can't conceptualize this either.

EDIT: I did some google searching, and I understand what this definition means but I have no idea how to approach it. One idea I have is that it is similar to the definition of a limit- I could possibly use something along the lines of a general limit proof to prove this statement.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
HallsofIvy
Apr4-12, 06:26 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
That really makes no sense. What does "for all [itex]\Delta> 0[/itex]" mean when there was no "[itex]\Delta[/itex]" in the statement of the limit? And what is the difference between [itex]\Delta> 0[/itex] and [itex]n> N[/itex]?
mercrave
Apr5-12, 12:48 AM
P: 5
Yeah, so I looked a lot more into it, and it turns out it's just the definition of diverging to infinity except with worser notation. This was word for word a homework probably, btw...

micromass
Apr5-12, 06:59 AM
Mentor
P: 18,086
Mathematical Analysis and Sequences

Then your homework doesn't make much sense...

Register to reply