Mathematical Analysis and Sequences

by mercrave
Tags: analysis, mathematical, sequences
mercrave
Apr4-12, 02:11 AM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is:
Show that an [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] iff for all [itex]\Delta[/itex] > 0, [itex]\exists[/itex]N such that n [itex]\geq[/itex] N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] an [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Not sure if there are any

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't really think of anything to do here because I have absolutely no clue what [itex]\Delta[/itex] is meant to be- my only guess was the difference between the sequences an and aN... and I can't conceptualize this either.

EDIT: I did some google searching, and I understand what this definition means but I have no idea how to approach it. One idea I have is that it is similar to the definition of a limit- I could possibly use something along the lines of a general limit proof to prove this statement.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
HallsofIvy
Apr4-12, 06:26 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,877
That really makes no sense. What does "for all [itex]\Delta> 0[/itex]" mean when there was no "[itex]\Delta[/itex]" in the statement of the limit? And what is the difference between [itex]\Delta> 0[/itex] and [itex]n> N[/itex]?
mercrave
Apr5-12, 12:48 AM
P: 5
Yeah, so I looked a lot more into it, and it turns out it's just the definition of diverging to infinity except with worser notation. This was word for word a homework probably, btw...

micromass
Apr5-12, 06:59 AM
Mentor
P: 16,506

Mathematical Analysis and Sequences

Then your homework doesn't make much sense...

Register to reply