Mathematical Analysis and Sequences

In summary, the problem states that for a sequence an, it diverges to infinity if for any given margin of error \Delta, there exists a value N such that when n is greater than or equal to N, an also diverges to infinity. This is similar to the definition of a limit, but with different notation. However, the given attempt at a solution does not provide a clear approach to solving the problem.
mercrave

Homework Statement

The problem is:
Show that an [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] iff for all [itex]\Delta[/itex] > 0, [itex]\exists[/itex]N such that n [itex]\geq[/itex] N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] an [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not sure if there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really think of anything to do here because I have absolutely no clue what [itex]\Delta[/itex] is meant to be- my only guess was the difference between the sequences an and aN... and I can't conceptualize this either.

EDIT: I did some google searching, and I understand what this definition means but I have no idea how to approach it. One idea I have is that it is similar to the definition of a limit- I could possibly use something along the lines of a general limit proof to prove this statement.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That really makes no sense. What does "for all [itex]\Delta> 0[/itex]" mean when there was no "[itex]\Delta[/itex]" in the statement of the limit? And what is the difference between [itex]\Delta> 0[/itex] and [itex]n> N[/itex]?

Yeah, so I looked a lot more into it, and it turns out it's just the definition of diverging to infinity except with worser notation. This was word for word a homework probably, btw...

Then your homework doesn't make much sense...

1. What is mathematical analysis?

Mathematical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, and series. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of mathematical objects such as functions, sequences, and series.

2. What are sequences in mathematical analysis?

In mathematical analysis, a sequence is a list of numbers arranged in a specific order. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the position of a term in the sequence is known as its index. Sequences are used to represent patterns and relationships in mathematics.

3. How are sequences and series related in mathematical analysis?

A series is a sum of the terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is an expression of the form a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an, where a1, a2, a3, ... , an are the terms of the sequence. Therefore, sequences and series are closely related in mathematical analysis, as they both involve the study of patterns and relationships between numbers.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a sequence in mathematical analysis?

A sequence is said to converge if its terms get closer and closer to a particular value as the index increases. To determine the convergence of a sequence, we can use various methods such as the limit comparison test, the ratio test, or the root test. These methods help us determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent.

5. What is the importance of mathematical analysis in real life?

Mathematical analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It helps us understand and model real-life systems and phenomena, and make predictions based on mathematical principles. For example, mathematical analysis is used in financial modeling to predict stock market trends, in physics to understand the behavior of particles, and in engineering to design and optimize structures and systems.