Evo
Apr5-12, 04:23 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Looking good Andre!
Jimmy Snyder
Apr5-12, 06:43 PM
P: 2,163
Tonight we had a simple dinner of steak, baked potatoes avec des trous, brussels sprouts yucca, and okra Winfrey.

1.66 lbs ribeye steak bone in
4 russet potatoes
some brussels sprouts
one yucca
some okra
hot peppers.

Pre-preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
With a fork, poke a few holes in each end of the potatoes, wrap in foil and place in the oven for 1 hour.
Rub the steak with a little vegetable oil, salt, and pepper from a mill. Place on top a couple of sprigs of rosemary from the herb garden.
When the potatoes have been baking for 20 minutes, place the steak in the oven. After another 20 minutes turn it over. When the potatoes are done, the steak will be too.
Fry the okra with some hot peppers.
Boil the brussels sprouts with the yucca. Actually, I don't have any yucca so I just boiled the brussels sprouts.
Evo
Apr5-12, 06:48 PM
Mentor
Did you sear the steaks before finishing in the oven?
dlgoff
Apr5-12, 07:12 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Oh, that soup certainly needed more tomatoes and celery for sure. Furtermore lots of thyme and origanum, and for the yummy factor chicken or beef dice well done and smoked bell peppers.

The clan came for dinner this evening and Enrunwen decided it should be burritos. She grabbed the Canon while dinner was prepared.

Oh my. Save some for me Andre. And your photo is wonderful.
rhody
Apr5-12, 07:13 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Jimmy,

What kind of hot peppers ?

Rhody...
Jimmy Snyder
Apr5-12, 07:36 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Did you sear the steaks before finishing in the oven?
No. I asked my wife about it and she said that just before the steak is ready I should turn the heat up high to finish it. Next time.

Quote Quote by rhody View Post
What kind of hot peppers ?
To taste. I used some hot pepper sauce in a jar that my wife got from the Chinese grocery. The name is in Chinese characters "Toward Heaven Chili". It's very hot but nothing like habaneros. It's packed with oil in it to fix the heat to your blood.
turbo
Apr5-12, 07:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
No. I asked my wife about it and she said that just before the steak is ready I should turn the heat up high to finish it. Next time.
Sear the steaks first in a very hot skillet with salt and pepper, then finish the steaks in the oven. Searing helps keep the steaks nice and juicy. It really does matter. Searing after you have already dehydrated the steaks does no good. You really need to come up here and help me with planting season, and I will help you learn to be a decent cook.
Evo
Apr5-12, 07:53 PM
Mentor
Searing is for taste, I have touted the maillard reaction for years.

Methods: Temper a steak by taking it out of the fridge and letting it sit at room temperature for about half an hour. Heat up a pan containing a thin layer of oil on the stove top. When the oil in the pan is smoking, place the steak in the pan. Make a note of all the changes that are occurring. Hear the sizzle of the meat in the oil. See the meat, where it touches the pan, start to change colors from deep red to gray to brown. But, most important, smell the new aromas emanating from the pan.

Are you hungry yet? I certainly am. A good sear can make a mediocre steak delightful. And a bad sear can render a good steak disappointing. A sear, in this case, doesn’t just give texture to your food. It creates new flavors. It creates new aromas. A good sear is the realization of an uncooked steak’s hidden potential.

All of this is a product of the Maillard reaction.
http://cen.acs.org/articles/89/i47/M...-Reaction.html
turbo
Apr5-12, 07:59 PM
PF Gold
All true. The browning (and subsequent lifting of those browned juices from the pan) are key to taking a cheap cut of beef to boiled-dinner perfection. Searing steaks is even more more critical, IMO, because you need to seal the outer surfaces to keep the juices in before final finishing.
Monique
Apr6-12, 01:26 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,622
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Searing steaks is even more more critical, IMO, because you need to seal the outer surfaces to keep the juices in before final finishing.
That's actually a myth, it doesn't seal the surface to keep in juices. It does reduce the total cooking time, making the end result more hydrated.
Andre
Apr6-12, 02:31 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
That's actually a myth, it doesn't seal the surface to keep in juices. It does reduce the total cooking time, making the end result more hydrated.
Exactly, it's much better to slowly but thoroughly heat the steaks to some 30-35 oC ~(80-90F), using Maries bath with the steaks in a plastic bag. Then fry them short to the desired state and you'll be known as the incredible steak wizard.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr6-12, 03:28 AM
I should point out that the final result was pretty good. The steak was medium rare with a pink center. So juicy that instead of cutting it into pieces, we poured it on the potatoes.
Evo
Apr6-12, 08:33 AM
Mentor
I should point out that the final result was pretty good. The steak was medium rare with a pink center. So juicy that instead of cutting it into pieces, we poured it on the potatoes.
Sounds yummy, and that's what matters.

My mother would take a 1/2" steak and cook it for 45 minutes. It was like shoe leather, it made my jaw hurt trying to eat it. That's how she liked it. I never could figure out why people liked steak until I went to a steak house and got a properly cooked steak.
rhody
Apr6-12, 09:26 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
My mother would take a 1/2" steak and cook it for 45 minutes. It was like shoe leather...
Just a guess, but I would be willing to bet that she got food poisoning one too many times and cooking it this way ensured that it never happened again.

Rhody...
Jimmy Snyder
Apr8-12, 07:49 AM
Last night my wife put a small piece of leg of lamb in a marinade consisting of olive oil, salt, pepper from a mill, rosemary from the herb garden, and garlic. Tomorrow I'll roast it.
Evo
Apr8-12, 10:36 AM
Mentor
Last night my wife put a small piece of leg of lamb in a marinade consisting of olive oil, salt, pepper from a mill, rosemary from the herb garden, and garlic. Tomorrow I'll roast it.
Oooohh!!

Last night I was so tired, I ate cold salmon right out of the can.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr9-12, 05:53 PM
Roast leg of lamb, from mix.

1 piece of marinaded leg of lamb
brussels sprouts
broccoli
eggplant

Sear the lamb while heating the oven to 350.
Put the lamb in the oven with the potatoes left over from steak dinner a few nights ago.
Cut up the veggies.
When the center is 140F, take it out and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Start boiling the broccoli and brussels sprouts in a medley and fry the eggplant.

Serve with mint jelly and a cheap Argentine Malbec (what was I thinking?)
turbo
Apr14-12, 06:00 PM
PF Gold
Today was a day on the back deck with my father visiting. We had my hot/spicy marinated shrimp fresh off the grill, steamed clams with melted butter-and-vinegar dip, then pan-seared sea scallops in butter. We stretched all this out over 3+ hours with a pound of shrimp, 5 pounds of steamers, and a pound of scallops. Dessert was a Friendly's Thin Mint chocolate ice-cream cake.

Register to reply