Register to reply

4 person chair trick

by rvgene
Tags: chair, person, trick
Share this thread:
rvgene
Apr6-12, 11:32 AM
P: 3
Ok, so the trick is shown in the following link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-CHenUooY

could anyone explain how this is accomplished?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
micromass
Apr6-12, 12:28 PM
Mentor
P: 18,099
Just get 4 friends and try it??
DavidSnider
Apr6-12, 04:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 469
As far as I can tell they are just transferring the weight of their upper body from the chair to the legs of the guy next to them. The only reason you need the chairs is because there is no way to get in that load balanced configuration initially without some support.

Ryan_m_b
Apr6-12, 05:31 PM
Mentor
P: 5,407
4 person chair trick

Ive done this with friends before. It's not easy but not too hard either. All you're doing is transferring your weight to the next person's legs. So long as they hold them straight and you stay still you balance.
rvgene
Apr7-12, 06:02 AM
P: 3
hmm, does it have to do with concepts such as centre of gravity and moments?

for example, the pivot is at the head, and there is a anticlockwise moment due to the centre of gravity and a clockwise moment due to the normal force at the feet?
zoobyshoe
Apr7-12, 08:20 AM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by rvgene View Post
hmm, does it have to do with concepts such as centre of gravity and moments?

for example, the pivot is at the head, and there is a anticlockwise moment due to the centre of gravity and a clockwise moment due to the normal force at the feet?
Consider each person individually as an object resting on two supports. The weight of each person is supported by 1.) their own legs from the knees down, and 2.) the legs, from the knees down, of the person on whose knees their back is resting. The center of gravity of each person is somewhere between their knees and the point where their back touches the next persons knees, though it is much closer to the latter. I just experimented with getting myself into this position with my back resting on the seat of a chair. If you try that you'll see there's much more pressure on your back than on your feet. In the group situation each person's knees are supporting a little bit of their own weight and most of another person's weight. If you could determine the center of gravity of each person in this position you could work out how much of their weight is supported by their own knees and how much by the knees of the next person.
bcbwilla
Apr7-12, 09:51 PM
P: 103
Okay, that was amusing.
richytherude
Apr9-12, 05:07 PM
P: n/a
our teacher made me and 3 others do this demonstration in class back in high school. It really isnt as hard as it looks.

Register to reply