Register to reply

Myth Or Fact? - Wind drag on flaming arrows

by promeus
Tags: arrows, fiction, physics
Share this thread:
promeus
Apr9-12, 11:37 PM
P: 27
In a stable atmosphere would arrows that have their head on fire accelerate faster than a regular arrow?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
Chronos
Apr9-12, 11:55 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,360
Why? A flaming arrow in flight cannot reduce the density of air in its flight path to any meaningful extent without inducing an equal amount of drag. This is a back door 'free energy' hypothesis.
anuragkanase
Apr10-12, 05:02 AM
This is a back door 'free energy' hypothesis.
Could you please elaborate.

Whovian
Apr10-12, 10:57 AM
P: 642
Myth Or Fact? - Wind drag on flaming arrows

My best guess (I've never really seen this myth before): You'd be applying the same amount of energy initially to the arrow (same pull back of the string.) But when it's about to land, it has more energy?
anuragkanase
Apr10-12, 11:22 AM
You'd be applying the same amount of energy initially to the arrow (same pull back of the string.) But when it's about to land, it has more energy?
I don't think thats the case. You are applying excessive energy in firing the bow.
So, that's the tricky part.
Whovian
Apr10-12, 11:24 AM
P: 642
I was saying for a flaming arrow vs a nonflaming one. We're applying the same energy in firing.
K^2
Apr10-12, 12:38 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Arrow travels too fast for effect of added heat on unstable atmosphere to catch on. Air has quite a bit of inertia of its own. Once the flaming arrow lands, it can create updraft over it. So maybe if you've set an entire field ablaze with flaming arrows, the arrows launched over it will carry a bit further (they still won't accelerate faster), but it'd be due to fire on ground, not fire on the arrow.

Register to reply