Thermodynamics question, heat transfer via radiation.

by mrspeedybob
Tags: heat, radiation, thermodynamics, transfer
mrspeedybob
Apr13-12, 05:17 AM
P: 686
Suppose I have an object with a surface area of 2 square meters at a temperature which causes it to radiate energy at a rate of 1 kw per square meter. It has a very large thermal mass and so for the purposes of this experiment, a constant temperature . Around this object I have a system of mirrors and lenses which focus all of this energy onto a second object with a surface area of 1 square meter. The mirror and lens apparatus also works in reverse so that all radiation emited by the 1 square meter object ends up striking the 2 square meter object.

I have 2 kw of power striking my 1 square meter object, so it should assume a temperature at which it will radiate 2 kw of power, but that would mean it is radiating 2 kw per square meter which would make it hotter then the first object. That can't be right because they should trend toward the same temperature.

I feel like it should be obvious, but I can't see how the temperatures trend toward equal.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
russ_watters
Apr13-12, 05:44 AM
Mentor
P: 21,999
It is the temperature difference between the objects that determines the radiation rate/direction.

Register to reply