Register to reply

Can any of you guys help to understand kinetic energy?

by suryanarayan
Tags: energy, guys, kinetic
Share this thread:
suryanarayan
Apr16-12, 08:47 AM
P: 14
when we apply kinetic energy conservation...should we split the velocity into two components???
eg)))))
two blocks of mass m are connected by a spring and are both given a velocity v at an angle of 45 degree with the horizontal(they lie on the horizontal)
..assuming no friction is present...
what will be the maximum elongation of the spring??

i used by equating 1/2 k x2 with the initial ke of the two masses along the horizontal i.e.vcos45???is it correct???pls help me(no vertical motion)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
wotanub
Apr16-12, 09:43 AM
P: 218
Well energy is a scalar so it it's meaningless to split the KE into two components.

You should however find the component of the force that gave the initial velocity in order to find the elongation.
suryanarayan
Apr16-12, 10:36 AM
can you pls tell me how to to solve it then...or did i do it correctly???

wotanub
Apr16-12, 11:03 AM
Can any of you guys help to understand kinetic energy?

I'm confused by the problem. How can the velocity be at a 45 degree angle with the horizontal if the masses must move only on the horizontal?
suryanarayan
Apr16-12, 11:34 AM
Quote Quote by wotanub View Post
I'm confused by the problem. How can the velocity be at a 45 degree angle with the horizontal if the masses must move only on the horizontal?
they are both given a horizontal velocity v......its given like that in the question...dont know why
wotanub
Apr16-12, 12:19 PM
In that case, I'd work it as you did.

[itex]2 \frac{1}{2} m (vcos(45))^{2} = \frac{1}{2}k(Δx)^{2}[/itex]

Register to reply