Register to reply

Integral of x^2e^(-x^2)

Share this thread:
spaniks
Apr16-12, 12:56 PM
P: 6
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use the fact that the integral evaluated from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(∏) to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ of x^2(e^(-x^2)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using integration by parts and I came down to an indefinite integral of sqrt(∏)*x^2. I know the answer is sqrt(∏)/2 but I don't see how. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong please.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
scurty
Apr16-12, 02:41 PM
P: 392
Quote Quote by spaniks View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use the fact that the integral evaluated from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(∏) to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ of x^2(e^(-x^2)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using integration by parts and I came down to an indefinite integral of sqrt(∏)*x^2. I know the answer is sqrt(∏)/2 but I don't see how. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong please.

That doesn't seem right. Try doing integration by parts by setting [itex]u = x \text{ and } dv=xe^{-x^2}dx[/itex].
spaniks
Apr16-12, 02:48 PM
P: 6
Thanks I got the answer using that method

Register to reply