integral of x^2e^(-x^2)

by spaniks
Tags: integration, integration by parts
spaniks
Apr16-12, 12:56 PM
P: 6
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use the fact that the integral evaluated from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(∏) to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ of x^2(e^(-x^2)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using integration by parts and I came down to an indefinite integral of sqrt(∏)*x^2. I know the answer is sqrt(∏)/2 but I don't see how. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong please.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
scurty
Apr16-12, 02:41 PM
P: 380
Quote Quote by spaniks View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use the fact that the integral evaluated from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(∏) to evaluate the integral from -∞ to +∞ of x^2(e^(-x^2)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using integration by parts and I came down to an indefinite integral of sqrt(∏)*x^2. I know the answer is sqrt(∏)/2 but I don't see how. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong please.

That doesn't seem right. Try doing integration by parts by setting [itex]u = x \text{ and } dv=xe^{-x^2}dx[/itex].
spaniks
Apr16-12, 02:48 PM
P: 6
Thanks I got the answer using that method

Register to reply