Register to reply

Kinetic Energy's Effect on Electron's Radius in Magnetic Field

by mirandab17
Tags: electromagnetism, electron, magnetism, radius
Share this thread:
mirandab17
Apr16-12, 11:54 PM
P: 40
An electron moves in a circular orbit of radius r in a magnetic field. The electron moves in a path perpendicular to the magnetic field. If the kinetic energy of the electron is doubled, what is the new radius of its path?

What formula would I use to go about this? Is this about mass spectrum? So I would go about using Fnet=ma, and then Fb (of a single charge) = mv^2/r.
So Bvq = mv^2/r... then where?

Please help! Test tomorrow! :(
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Steely Dan
Apr17-12, 12:48 AM
P: 317
Quote Quote by mirandab17 View Post
An electron moves in a circular orbit of radius r in a magnetic field. The electron moves in a path perpendicular to the magnetic field. If the kinetic energy of the electron is doubled, what is the new radius of its path?

What formula would I use to go about this? Is this about mass spectrum? So I would go about using Fnet=ma, and then Fb (of a single charge) = mv^2/r.
So Bvq = mv^2/r... then where?

Please help! Test tomorrow! :(
Sure, you're on the right track. Use that to solve for [itex]r[/itex] first. Then think about which quantity in the equation for the radius will change if the kinetic energy is doubled, and figure out how much it will be changed by.

Register to reply