About Alternating current.

by PhysicsBegner
Tags: alternating, current
Share this thread:
PhysicsBegner
Apr18-12, 08:09 AM
P: 23
Hi All,

I have a very basic question in understanding alternating current. When we learn about DC circuits we would start with a simple circuit with a resistor with one current direction (either electron or hole current) and it was said that electors move in one direction.

But when we start with understanding Alternating current it is said that current with varying direction and magnitude. I have a problem in visualizing this in terms of particle flow in a circuit. Would it be like particles accelarte in one direction for a fraction of second and de-accelerating and again accelrating towards other direction?

Could we imagine this to a body vibrating in a periodic or simple harmonic motion. Or is there any way we can visualize the electron flow in AC circuits.

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Hassan2
Apr18-12, 09:03 AM
P: 409
Hi PhysicsBeginner,

Almost the same question was asked in the following post, right today. As if both you and the other poster were the same person:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=597792
PhysicsBegner
Apr18-12, 09:15 AM
P: 23
Hi Hassan2,

Thank you. I would post in that thread for my further thoughts if any.

Register to reply