Heat Treatment of Aluminum

by the_dialogue
Tags: aluminum, heat, treatment
the_dialogue
Sep24-06, 07:05 AM
P: 79
During the heat treatment of Aluminum alloys, two processes: Solution and Precipitation heat treatment were used.

Should the hardness increase or decrease from the original alloy after solution heat treatment? My reference text says that the material should be "soft and ductile" after solution heat treatment, but I am not sure if this is accurate.

What should be the effect on the hardness after Precipitation heat treatment? I was under the impression that this final hardness should be significantly higher than the original alloy and higher than the hardness measured after solution heat treatment.

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Gokul43201
Sep25-06, 02:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Quote Quote by the_dialogue
During the heat treatment of Aluminum alloys, two processes: Solution and Precipitation heat treatment were used.

Should the hardness increase or decrease from the original alloy after solution heat treatment? My reference text says that the material should be "soft and ductile" after solution heat treatment, but I am not sure if this is accurate.
It is accurate. Immediately after a solution heat treatment, you will have a soft alloy...for a few days at most. Remember, what you are doing is freezing a high temperature solution at a metastable low temperature state. It is the subsequent ageing that causes precipitation to occur, which increases the strength and hardness.

What should be the effect on the hardness after Precipitation heat treatment? I was under the impression that this final hardness should be significantly higher than the original alloy and higher than the hardness measured after solution heat treatment.
That sounds right.
the_dialogue
Sep25-06, 03:02 PM
P: 79
Thank you for replying Gokul. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few more questions.

I seem to be confused with the whole idea of heat treatment. We start off with an aluminum matrix with precipitates in it. We heat the alloy and cool it, so that the precipitates (which blend with the aluminum to form one phase at a high temperature) "freeze" into the aluminum base. Therefore, i suppose I understand why the hardness is lower -- because the precipitates are what hinders dislocation movement in the first place, hence making the material harder. Upon the secondary treatment, which heats it to a lower temperature (150C), some of the precipitates are allowed to diffuse into the aluminum base, and once again the material is quenched. Now at this state, I would guess that there are a few more "frozen" percipitates? But why would this state be significantly stronger than the original alloy?

Why don't we simply leave an aluminum alloy lying around for years, until a lot of the precipitates have diffused and there is max. hindering of dislocation movement?

Thank you! I have absolutely no one to ask this question but you.

Astronuc
Sep25-06, 06:16 PM
Admin
P: 21,628

Heat Treatment of Aluminum

This article might help with some background -

Heat Treatable Aluminum Alloys
http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article39.htm

Thermomechanical Treatments of Aluminum Alloys
http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article105.htm

Compare temperatures with the melting point of Al - 933.47 [or 660.32 °C (1220.58 °F)].

Articles on Al and Al alloys - http://www.key-to-nonferrous.com/def...ID=Articles#p1
rjholdsworth
May6-10, 05:29 AM
P: 1
Having problems acheiving the correct hardness on LM25 TE, tried casting with the mag at the higher end, but made no diffrence. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
andybarter043
Apr19-12, 02:39 AM
P: 2
Ageing aluminium causes crystals to grow inside the aluminium crystals which interfere with the lattice and actually reinforce and harden the crystal structure of the alloy. In this new structure the aluminium alloys ability to shuffle its atoms and change shape is prevented making it harder and stronger.

Here is a link to a you tube clip which may be useful to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhXy1XgLLs

Register to reply