Confused about thin-lens equation

by jayadds
Tags: confused, equation, thinlens
Share this thread:
jayadds
Apr25-12, 06:37 AM
P: 42
As you probably know, the thin-lens equation is given by:

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f where s = distance from object to lens, s' = distance from lens to image and f = focal length of lens

Now, in a particular question, I needed to find s' given that s = f. From the equation, that means s' would become undefined! Is that even possible? If so, can you please explain what that means in terms of the image (i.e. real/virtual; upright/inverted)?

Many thanks,
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
tiny-tim
Apr25-12, 06:57 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
hi jayadds!
Quote Quote by jayadds View Post
Now, in a particular question, I needed to find s' given that s = f. From the equation, that means s' would become undefined!
this is one of those rare cases when we're allowed to say that 1/0 is infinity

the image is "at infinity"

in other words, the light rays come out parallel
truesearch
Apr25-12, 08:38 AM
P: 349
If the lens is a converging lens then the object at the focal point is a magnifying glass with the image formed at infinity. Light rays passing into the eye (if it is used as a magnifying glass) are parallel and the eye is in its relaxed position. The image is upright and there is angular magnification.
If the lens is diverging then the image is formed at a distance of f/2 from the lens, it is virtual and diminished.

Register to reply