Confused with working out the span of a set of vectors in R^2

In summary, the problem asks for the span of a set of vectors where the first component is always equal to 1. The answer states that the span is equal to the entire set R2, and provides two cases to explain this. The first case is when x1 does not equal 0, and the second case is when x1 equals 0. The confusion arises in the second case, where x1 is equal to 0 and the answer shows how to represent points in R2 as linear combinations of points in S. This clarification helps to understand how the answer satisfies the condition given in the problem.
gilabert1985
Hi everyone!

I have the following problem which I don't understand... It is already solved, but there are three questions I have regarding it.

The problem says: "Let S be the set of all vectors [itex]x=(x_{1}, x_{2})[/itex] in [itex]\Re^{2}[/itex] such that [itex]x_{1}=1[/itex]. What is the span of S?"

And here is the answer that has me so confused...

"[itex]span S = \Re^{2}[/itex] because [itex](x_{1}, x_{2})=x_{1}(1, x^{-1}_{1}x_{2}[/itex] when [itex]x_{1}\neq0[/itex]
and [itex](x_{1}, x_{2})=(1, 0)-(1, -x_{2})[/itex] when [itex]x_{1}=0[/itex]."

But I don't understand the first line... why does it say when [itex]x_{1}\neq0[/itex] if [itex]x_{1}[/itex] is supposed to be equal to 1?

And in the second line, the same... why is [itex]x_{1}=0[/itex]?

So yeah, I understand they are linear combinations and all that, but for the condition given ([itex]x_{1}=1[/itex]), I don't understand how this answer satisfies it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The points (x1,x2) in the lines that are confusing you are not points in S, but points in R2, which it then shows how to represent as linear combinations of points in S

Since you can't rewrite ##x_2## as ##x_1 x_1{}^{-1}x_2## when ##x_1=0##, you have to consider the case ##x_1=0## separately.

1. What is the span of a set of vectors in R^2?

The span of a set of vectors in R^2 refers to the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. It is essentially the space that can be created by stretching and shrinking the vectors in different directions.

2. Why is it important to calculate the span of a set of vectors in R^2?

Calculating the span of a set of vectors in R^2 allows you to determine whether the vectors are linearly independent or dependent. This is important in understanding the relationships between the vectors and how they can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

3. How do you calculate the span of a set of vectors in R^2?

To calculate the span of a set of vectors in R^2, you can use a few different methods such as Gaussian elimination or finding the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors. You can also use geometric intuition by visualizing the vectors and determining the area they span.

4. Can the span of a set of vectors in R^2 be greater than the number of vectors in the set?

Yes, it is possible for the span of a set of vectors in R^2 to be greater than the number of vectors in the set. This occurs when the vectors are linearly dependent and can be expressed as a combination of other vectors in the set.

5. How does the span of a set of vectors in R^2 relate to the dimension of the vector space?

The span of a set of vectors in R^2 can give you information about the dimension of the vector space. For example, if the span of the set of vectors is equal to the number of vectors in the set, then the vectors are linearly independent and the vector space has a dimension of 2. If the span is less than the number of vectors, then the vector space has a lower dimension.