Register to reply

Why is enthalpy a function of Temperature and Pressure?

Share this thread:
tkdiscoverer
Apr28-12, 10:48 PM
P: 2
right now, I'm following the MIT thermodynamics video lecture.

I've gone thru

dU = dw + dq
(d for "is path dependent")

and

H = U + pV

But why is enthalpy a function of temperature and pressure?
is it because pV = nRT and thus, V = nRT/p, so we only need p and T to get V?

dH = ( [itex]\delta[/itex] H/ [itex]\delta[/itex] )TdT + ( [itex]\delta[/itex] H/ [itex]\delta[/itex] p)dp

but why not:
dH = ([itex]\delta[/itex]H/[itex]\delta[/itex] T)dT + ([itex]\delta[/itex]H/[itex]\delta[/itex]V)dV ???

Thanks! : D
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
mSSM
Apr29-12, 03:52 AM
P: 31
You have (I won't write the path-dependent parts explicitly; just assume they are there :D ):
[tex]
\mathrm{d}E = T\mathrm{d}S - P\mathrm{d}V
[/tex]

We know that [itex]\mathrm{d}Q = T\mathrm{d}T[/itex], so that for a process at constant pressure we can rewrite the quantity of heat as the differential:
[tex]
\mathrm{d}Q = \mathrm{d}E + P\mathrm{d}V = \mathrm{d}(E + PV) = \mathrm{d}W
[/tex]

of some quantity
[tex]W = E+PV[/tex]

If you now want to find the total differential of the heat function itself (now no longer assuming constant pressure), you can easily get:
[tex]
\mathrm{d}W = T\mathrm{d}S + V\mathrm{d}P
[/tex]

For your notation: look at the definition of your [itex]U[/itex]. When you make the total differential of the heat function, you have to write explicitly the terms for the energy, where [itex]-P\mathrm{d}V[/itex] cancels with one of the differential you get from [itex]\mathrm{d}(PV)[/itex] in the heat function.

Register to reply