Quadratic Equation help

by RStars
Tags: equation, quadratic
RStars
Apr28-12, 05:24 PM
P: 7
Hey,

I was going through some mechanics notes and came across this quadratic equation to solve for x. In my notes it is supposed to equal 3 however I do not get that result. I am not sure if I am simplifying it wrong or what. I am ending up with 2.12 for the positive value. Please let me know if you get 3 or 2.12 so that I know if the error is in my calculations or in my notes.

Thanks in advanced.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
DonAntonio
Apr28-12, 05:39 PM
P: 606
Quote Quote by RStars View Post
Hey,

I was going through some mechanics notes and came across this quadratic equation to solve for x. In my notes it is supposed to equal 3 however I do not get that result. I am not sure if I am simplifying it wrong or what. I am ending up with 2.12 for the positive value. Please let me know if you get 3 or 2.12 so that I know if the error is in my calculations or in my notes.

Thanks in advanced.

It must be some mistake in your notes: if you put [itex]x=3[/itex] in the given eq., one gets that the LHS is not an integer

whereas the RHS is...

DonAntonio
Borek
Apr29-12, 02:18 AM
Admin
P: 22,666
Neither 3 nor 2.12 are roots of the equation as you wrote it.

Integrand
Apr29-12, 02:36 AM
P: 16

Quadratic Equation help

3 is correct if the LHS is amended to contain 144x2 rather than 144 + x2.
evilbrent
Apr29-12, 06:29 PM
P: 4
um... I haven't done this in a while so forgive me for being simple.... but that's not an equation.

if you put x=10 you end up with the equation 122=900, which isn't true.

There's been some kind of mistake.
DonAntonio
Apr29-12, 09:22 PM
P: 606
Quote Quote by evilbrent View Post
um... I haven't done this in a while so forgive me for being simple.... but that's not an equation.

if you put x=10 you end up with the equation 122=900, which isn't true.

There's been some kind of mistake.

No, that is too an equation. To solve it means to find out the numerical values of x that when substituted in the equation give

a true equality. What you've shown above is that the numerical value x = 10 is not (one of the) a solution(s) of the equation.

DonAntonio
evilbrent
Apr29-12, 09:33 PM
P: 4
oh, ok, yes. Sorry engineering maths was a decade ago for me. It's amazing how quickly the knowledge vanishes.

I reduced the original equation down to 0=-71.5x^2+900x-2628 and got 0=(x-4.604)*(x-7.984)

Register to reply