Identities of nested set algebraic expressions

In summary, the identities are: $$((\ldots((x_{1} \cup x_{2}) *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) *_{n - 1} x_{n})$$ \equiv ((\ldots(x_{2} *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) *_{n - 1} x_{n}) $$((\ldots((x_{1} \cap x_{2}) *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) \cap x_{1}) \equiv ((\ldots(x_{2} *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) \cap x_{1})$$
miraiw
Are there any useful identities for simplifying an expression of the form:
$$((\ldots((x_{1} *_{1} x_{2}) *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) *_{n - 1} x_{n})$$
Where each $$*_{i}$$ is one of $$\cap, \cup$$ and $$x_1 \ldots x_n$$ are sets?

I believe I found two; though I haven't proved them, I think they make sense:
$$((\ldots((x_{1} \cup x_{2}) *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) \cup x_{1}) \equiv ((\ldots(x_{2} *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) \cup x_{1})$$
$$((\ldots((x_{1} \cap x_{2}) *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) \cap x_{1}) \equiv ((\ldots(x_{2} *_{2} x_{3}) \ldots) \cap x_{1})$$

Generally, how would you prove these? Just induction?

I tested a few expressions with the attached perl script which is why I think they work.

Attachments

• sym.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
There are various distributive laws like
[tex] (A \cup B) \cap C = (A\cap C) \cup (B \cap C) [/tex]
[tex] (A \cap B) \cup C = (A \cup C) \cap (B \cup C) [/tex]

Since you are using [itex] *_i [/itex] to represent something that can be either [itex] \cup [/itex] or [itex] \cap [/itex] , I can't tell offhand if your identities are correct. I'd have to consider each possible interpretation of the operation as a separate case.

Induction would be the method of proof, assuming that your "..." indicates a an expression of arbitrary but finite length. If you have in mind some sort of infinitely long expressions, you have to start with the problem of defining what they would mean.

I restated the problem in terms of propositions like $$x \in A_{1} \wedge x \in A_{2}$$ and considered that whatever was in the ellipsis would either depend on the innermost expression or not and if it did would either have a value opposite the innermost or the same as. From there I just exhaustively listed the cases and compared. Also, I assumed that the [itex] A_{1}[/itex] doesn't show anywhere in the ellipsis.

I think that's all I need since I can just deal with the rest recursively.

1. What is nested set algebraic expression?

Nested set algebraic expression is a mathematical notation that represents a set of numbers and operations within parentheses, with each set being contained within another set. It is commonly used to simplify complex mathematical equations.

2. How are identities of nested set algebraic expressions used?

Identities of nested set algebraic expressions are used to manipulate and simplify mathematical equations involving nested sets. These identities help to transform complex expressions into simpler forms, making it easier to solve equations and perform calculations.

3. What are some common identities used in nested set algebraic expressions?

Some common identities used in nested set algebraic expressions include the distributive property, associative property, commutative property, and identity property. These properties allow for the manipulation of nested sets to simplify equations.

4. How do nested set algebraic expressions relate to order of operations?

Nested set algebraic expressions follow the same order of operations as regular algebraic expressions. This means that operations within parentheses are performed first, followed by exponents, multiplication and division from left to right, and then addition and subtraction from left to right.

5. Can nested set algebraic expressions be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, nested set algebraic expressions can be applied to real-world problems that involve complex equations. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to simplify and solve mathematical models and equations.