How Electric potential and potential difference work in batteries

by htttp
Tags: battery, electric force, electric potential, potential difference, work & energy
htttp
Apr30-12, 11:22 PM
P: 6
How is electric potential manipulated in batteries? Why do some batteries have a rating of 1.5v and others have ratings of 1.25v? I'm not looking for the answer of "its the materials used in the chemical reaction" because I know that.WHAT DO THESE MATERIALS DO DIFFERENTLY TO THE PHYSICS OF THE BATTERY (charge, distance, work, etc. )? I've learned that electric potential and potential energy rely entirely on position. For example the formula from electric potential energy is F * d and force is (kQq)/d^2 meaning that potential energy is (kQq)/d. Does this mean that a battery that has its anodes and cathodes closer together has a higher voltage rating compared to one is very long?

Please answer in detail and again I don't want the "it's the materials used in the chemical reaction" answer to this question. That's not what I'm looking for because I already know that.

Thanks for your help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
tiny-tim
May1-12, 04:24 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi htttp!
Quote Quote by htttp View Post
electric potential and potential energy rely entirely on position.
no, that's wrong

a battery with two electrodes in a fluid will have the same voltage (electric potential difference) no matter how far apart the electrodes are
PhysicoRaj
May1-12, 04:26 AM
P: 280
a battery that has its anodes and cathodes closer together has a higher voltage rating compared to one is very long?
Just try it yourself at home. Connect the terminals to conductors and make the battery long. Then measure the potential with a voltmeter

PhysicoRaj
May1-12, 04:32 AM
P: 280

How Electric potential and potential difference work in batteries

Here's some detail:
WHAT DO THESE MATERIALS DO DIFFERENTLY TO THE PHYSICS OF THE BATTERY
The materials used in batteries are electrolytes(solid or liquid). You know They dissociate when dissolved, or in electric field. The ions thus formed carry charge to/from the electrodes. The capacity of carrying charge by ions varies with the material you have used to dissociate into ions. And also some materials dissociate quickly and some produce more ions.

Register to reply