Basic single phase electric motor wiring help

In summary, the electric garage door motor has four wires coming out of it. Red and blue wires were attached to a start/run capacitor and the capacitor has two prongs with two receiver clips on each prong. The black and white wire were attached to the light bulb but it doesn't make sense that they would come out of the motor housing to power the light bulb. The electric garage door motor should be simple to use, but it is not working correctly. The motor is very clean and shaft turns freely, but it is not running. The green ground wire may be involved in start or running of the electric garage door motor but the person does not know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.
pofallon
i have a 20 year old electric garage door motor that i cut out of the housing and kept but threw away the rest as garbage. now that i want to use the motor, i have no recollection of how the wiring worked. it is a very clean basic motor made by samsung. it's a 120 volt, 5 amp, single phase motor. it has 4 wires coming from the body. a red wire with a clip, a blue wire with a clip and a white wire that i cut and a black wire that i cut. the red and blue wire were attached to a start/run capacitor. the capacitor has 2 prongs with 2 receiver clips on each prong. i know i took the red and blue wires off of the capacitor but don't know if they came off of one of the prongs or were attached to each prong separately. i thought i remember the black and white wire going to the light bulb but it doesn't make sense that they would come out of the motor housing to power the light bulb. i don't have a schematic for the motor so if you know of where i could find one that might help. i have googled the make and model number and got nothing. it seems like it should be simple but i have tried putting 120 AC current to the white and black wire and blew a fuse. I've tried powering the capacitor and get spark but no motor runs. the motor isn't fried from what i can tell but i don't know. it's very clean and shaft turns very freely. i have not tried powering the red and blue wire directly with 120 AC because I'm afraid i would then damage something. i also have not done anything with the green ground wire. not sure how involved the ground wire is in start or running of this motor. any help would be appreciated. thanks for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1564430413243.png

1. What is a basic single phase electric motor?

A basic single phase electric motor is a type of electric motor that operates on a single phase power supply. It is commonly used in household appliances, power tools, and other small machines.

2. How does a basic single phase electric motor work?

A basic single phase electric motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy through the interaction of magnetic fields. When an electric current is passed through the motor's coils, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnet inside the motor, causing it to rotate.

3. What are the components of a basic single phase electric motor?

The main components of a basic single phase electric motor include the stator (stationary part), rotor (rotating part), bearings, end bells, and a power supply. It may also include a capacitor for starting and a centrifugal switch for stopping.

4. How do I wire a basic single phase electric motor?

To wire a basic single phase electric motor, you will need to connect the power supply to the motor's start and run windings, as well as the capacitor (if applicable). You will also need to connect the motor's power cord to a power source. It is important to follow the wiring diagram provided by the motor's manufacturer.

5. What are some common issues with basic single phase electric motors?

Some common issues with basic single phase electric motors include overheating, burnt out windings, and faulty capacitors. These issues can be caused by improper wiring, overloading the motor, or general wear and tear. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent these issues.